1989 225 johnson loses power

seconddraw

Cadet
My 225 johnson is hard to start and loses power when started and full throttle. I found that only 2 coils were putting out spark, but very weak(one on each bank). I took the lead wire from the power pack and swapped it out on all of the coils and they all sparked, but weak. I am thinking that my power pack is losing it and I just wanted to ask if anyone new what might be the problem. Do power packs slowly give out and how do I test if it is weak? Thanks! Easier reply suttonc311@hotmail.com. :)

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 225 johnson loses power

In all probability the powerpack is fine. However, the beginning of the ignition system is the stator located under the flywheel. The small coils pertain to the charging system, but the large black coils supply approximately 300 AC volts to the powerpack.<br /><br />That stator is a 35 amp stator which runs quite hot. Eventually it gets hot enough to damage those black coils, causing them to leak out a sticky substance down on the timer base assy and the block.<br /><br />This results in a voltage drop to the powerpack, which in turn results in erratic and weak spark, and eventually.... no spark.<br /><br />Do a visual check on that stator. If it's melting down, replace it.

seconddraw

Cadet

Thanks Joe! Is this a waxy looking substance, but not sticky? Also, there is a lot of fine rust shavings under the flywheel. Would this or could this be a problem? Thanks!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

If you're speaking of the large black coils, it's hard to say what that waxy substance is other than it may simply be the factory coating on the coils.<br /><br />One other common problem wich causes weak or non existent spark is a intermitent short in the ignition switch. Before removing the flywheel to visually inspect the stator, do the following.<br /><br />Remove the s/plugs. Rig up a spark tester whereas you can set a 7/16" gap. Crank th engine over<br />and observe the spark which should be a strong blue lightning like flame.... a real strong wide snap!<br /><br />I'm assuming that you're not obtaining that type spark by your previous post.<br /><br />Now, disconnect the large RED main electrical plug at the engine. Crank the engine by using a small jumper from the battery terminal of the starter solenoid to the 3/8" nut terminal that engages the solenoid (not the 3/8" ground nut).<br /><br />If you now have the proper spark, either a short exists in the instrument cable leading to the control console, or the ignition switch has a short between the two "M" terminals. The usual cause is the ignition switch, in which case replace the ignition switch.<br /><br />If still no spark, there is a very remote chance that a short exists in the engine wiring harness. You can test that by disconnecting the black/yellow wire(s) that would be connected from the harness to the powerpack, then cranking the engine again.<br /><br />If still no spark, the only component left in the circuit is the stator (and of course the powerpack). Removing the flywheel will allow a good visual inspection. Good luck.

seconddraw

Cadet

Thanks Joe, I will try what you said. I did mess with the ignition recently so maybe I did something to mis-behave it. <br /><br />The black waxy looking substance actually looks like black silicone that has a candle type waxy drip to it(if this helps), to the touch, it is semi soft! Thanks.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

If that waxy substance is something that's dripping down from the area of those two black coils at the rear portion of the stator, then I would say that the stator is melting down.<br /><br />If on the other hand, it is simply a coating over the black coils, and is not dripping down to the timer base and block, then I would assume it is simply the factory coating over the coils.