Wont run now

The RealRookie

Petty Officer 3rd Class
60 5.5 fisherman,<br /><br />Had it running yesterday and was running great, after fixing the shifting parts. Was running and just died for no reason. Pulled and pulled, wouldnt start. Broke recoil....fixed that today. <br /><br />Now, it wont start still. Im having some type of a fuel problem.<br /><br />The primer gets hard and the motors filter wont fill all the way. I pull it over and it wants to run but it drains the fuel real fast.<br /><br />I tried 2 tanks and 2 hoses. One tank and one hose is brand new, wel a month anyway. Its doing the same thing on both tanks and hoses.<br /><br />I know the fuel pump is working and i know its all working right after the fuel filter.<br /><br />The line comes in and goes direct to the pump, then goes off to the filter.<br /><br />Any ideas?

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Wont run now

Disconnect the fuel line from the carburator and see if you can push gas that far with the primer. If so, it's time to rebuild your carb. <br />I'll bet a peice of deteriorated fuel line has ended up plugging something in the carburator up. You can get new fuel line at NAPA also.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Or just shoot a little pre-mix in the carb throat and see if it fires. If so, follow Paul's advice..

The RealRookie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, first, i have more info. The primer gets hard, ok,....sometimes its hard as hard can be, sometimes its not as hard, but harder than it should be<br /><br />Im filling the fuel filter up and it draining.<br /><br />Im getting oil everywhere in the yard and in the bucket, so my guess is its going thru the carb out the motor, either when pumping or pulling.<br /><br />Its not making any sense to me<br /><br />I just had it running for about 3 minutes and the filter never filled a 10th of the filters bowl. I had it on low rpm, stuck it in gear and it died. Now i cant start it again.

The RealRookie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, took off the breather box and im seeing alot of fuel in the carb throat. Im seeing a little out some hole facing the breather once in a while while squeezing the hard primer. Inside the carbs throat, i see a little tube sticking up and fuel is ooozzzing out of it.<br /><br />Maybe you guys are right. I pulled a plug and it dont look very wet. <br /><br />Maybe some blockage is creating the pressure in the carb and making it ooozzz instead of something else?<br /><br />Ill try the bottle trick in a minute and post back.<br /><br />Oh yea, one last thing. Does this old thing have reeds or something like it that might cause blockage?

The RealRookie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wow, you guys are GOOD! I got the thing running buy priming it and then the filter filled.<br /><br />I took off the carb and there is crap in the bowl, AND the filter has crap in it too.<br /><br />I found a deteriorated fuel line just like you thought!<br /><br />The float must be original. Its a faom like material.<br /><br />What would be my NAPA part # for carb rebuild kit?<br /><br />Thanks for the help.<br /><br />Oh, should i pop apart the fuel pump and clean that out too?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Replace the filter(Available at NAPA, take it with you) and clean out the pump, being carefull with the pump diaphram. NAPA part number for your carb kit is # 18-7043 Without float. They do not show one with a float included. If you feel you need one, it will have to come from a dealer. Clean the carb out with carb spray and blow out passages with compessed air. Should be good to go... Is the choke working on that dude???

The RealRookie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks alot for the help.....REALLY, thanks alot<br /><br />Choke works great. The throttle return spring might need a replacement though. It feels a bit light as it gets to closed.

The RealRookie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the help folks. Motor is running like a top now. Hope this motor gets years more in the service dept.<br /><br />Have to get a throttle return spring though. It wont go all the way back for that last little bit of spring which is to high to shift at. I have to push the last little bit by hand to get it down.<br /><br />Oh, i remember something now. This motor has no kill switch. On the tiller it says "stop". When i turn the throttle to stop, it dont shut off, even if i push the throttle by hand so its closed as it can get. The throttles linkage, a metal part hits the thermostat housing when in the stop posistion. Im thinking this is supposed to groung it out or something causing the engine to shut off. But it doesnt. To kill it, how is it supposed to work? Right now, im killing it by pulling the choke.<br /><br />Thanks

Paul Moir

Admiral

I'm glad to hear you're getting it running well!<br /><br />You might find the answer your looking for here.<br /><br />The throttle butterfly shaft should turn very easily. Mabey it's gummed up or something? Also, it's brass so is it possible it's been bent and is binding?

The RealRookie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the link. <br /><br />No, its the throttle return spring thats the problem. I can see when i get to the close position, i can see the end of the spring relax off the psrt it rides on.<br /><br />I have another problem but ill save that for another thread.<br /><br />Thanks