drill hole in prop?

sandollar1978

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello I have been reading some post and I want to know should I try drilling some holes in the prop? I have a 1979 evinrude 55hp outboard the prop size is 12-1/4 x15 the boat is a 15' feet tri-hull 1978. Thanks for the help!!!

ob

Admiral
Re: drill hole in prop?

What is your reason to want to drill the prop?Are you wanting to convert it to a vented prop that will get your rig out of the hole quicker?If so,It can be done ,however the holes will need to be at the proper location on the hub ahead of the leading edges of the prop blades.Sizing of the holes is also necessary to achieve the proper results.I could explain the location to place the holes but I don't want to mislead you.See if you can visit a local prop shop or dealer and either have them perform this for you or observe the placement and demensions of one that is already vented.

sandollar1978

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I heard this would make the boat run better? Also take off faster??

ob

Admiral

It will only in some cases improve the holeshot of your boat and will have no effect on midrange or top end performance.<br /><br />What is your engines WOT rpm capabilities?

sandollar1978

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I guess I dont need to do this right? Thank you for replying!! :D

phatmanmike

Captain

what happens to your boat when you do this and you want to idle around on a "no wake" river? are you still able to cruise at low speeds without problems even though youve drilled these holes? will it cavitate more while slowly cruising(not on plane)?<br /><br />m ikey