89 Evinrude 150 XP, Reliable?

Sivart

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I asked yesterday about a boat and motor and appreciate the replies. Well the deal has fell through as of now. I am going to look at a Ebbtide Dynatrac Fish n Ski with a 150 hp, Evinrude 150 XP. Can anyone give any comments about this motor? It is a 89 model. After reading the last post I know to check the compression. I am just wondering if there is anything in particular with this model of motor I need to look out for.

Duck Loads

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 89 Evinrude 150 XP, Reliable?

My '89 gt150 has been a good engine for the year that I have owned it. I have overhauled the carbs, cleaned recirc valves, new fuel hoses, etc. If you're still running the vro, you might think about servicing the oil system. Make sure the ignition components are up to snuff. That stuff will get real expensive real quick.<br /><br />Good luck,<br />Duck L.

Sivart

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can a guy just plug off the oil injections system and mix his own gas without doing anything else?<br />If not what would be involved?

Duck Loads

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I plugged my oil injection and removed the oil tank from the boat. It had given great service for 14 years and I was advised to replace it or plug it up. Plugging it was free. If the fuel pump side of the VRO goes out, I might replace the oil system. It is my understanding that a non-VRO fuel only pump is available for quite a bit less money than the VRO (fuel+oil)unit.

tntwalker

Seaman Apprentice

What does cleaning the recirc valves entail? I have the same motor and need to check this...<br /><br />Thanks so much!<br /><br />
Originally posted by Duck Loads:<br />I have overhauled the carbs, cleaned recirc valves<br />Good luck,<br />Duck L.