Motor not starting

93_lowe_l170

Cadet
I have a 93 Lowe L170 and I am trying to get it to start. When I put the key in and try to crank the motor the starter engages and the large crank wheel will make like one revolution then stick, then if I hit it again make 1 - 1/2 and stick..never gets up the rpm's to actually start the motor, I have tried dif. batteries, doesn't matter if the plugs are in or out, tryin to see if compression was the problem. Motor has set for about 4+ yrs without bein started, so I have changed lower unit oil, new plugs, new fuel filter all electronics work, trim, lights, trollin etc so I don't think it is electrical BEFORE the motor. Is there a chance the pistons are gumbed up? if so any way to clean/grease them without removing the head etc?<br /><br />Sorry for the long post just a major novice when it comes to out boards.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Greg

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Motor not starting

Pull the sparkplugs.<br />Spray a liberal amount of wd-40 or SSeafoam Deep Creep into each cylinder, don't let the little red hose fly into the cylinder.<br /><br />Leave the plugs out and ignition off.<br />Try to turn the motor over by hand, by turning the flywheel.<br /><br />If you can turn it over, good.<br /><br />Check all electric connections to the starter, solenoid, ground, and batter.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hi Greg.....we can help but we need to know what engine you have connected to the '93 Lowe L170. A year/model number and hp will do.<br /><br />Thanks.

93_lowe_l170

Cadet

Hey all thanks for the input sorry for the neglected information it is a 93 70hp evinrude motor...thanx..Greg

ob

Admiral

Roscoe's got you headed in the right direction.Perform the cylinder lubrication with the plugs out and try stroking the engine by hand using the flywheel with the controls in neutral.Check the engine ground lugs,or better yet ,remove them and clean all of the terminals and reconnect insuring tightness and good metal to metal contact.Insure that the 12V cables and wires on the starter solenoid are clean and tight as well.Report back with your findings and we can go from there.If we can get you to the point of where the engine will turn over with the starter ,I'm confident that after setting out of use for the time mentioned that carburetor/s cleaning and or rebuild will be the next step.<br /><br />Was this engine running fine before it was stored out of use ?