water telltale

nina

Cadet
Went to lake yesterday and noticed while at WOT that the telltale was spitting water, not a steady stream. Backed off the throttle and water was a steady stream again. The motor is a Johnson 150 GT (YR 1988 V-6). I had recently changed the impeller housing and impeller, along with 2 new thermostats and headgaskets. The boat has been run 6 times since then and have had no problems. The motor doesn't seem to be overheating because after a long run I pulled engine cover off and put hands on both heads and is not hot to the touch. My question is: Is this normal not to have a steady stream of water at WOT or what?

fishinhole

Seaman Apprentice
Re: water telltale

You should have a good stream of water at high speed, if not, you are sucking air from some place. Did anything change since your last time out? Did you use more trim this time? Something change in the hull of the boat to make are bubbles under the boat? Check everything.

ob

Admiral

Sounds like the pump may be cavitating at higher speeds or is defective .How high is your engines anti-ventilation plate running in relation to the boats bottom? Did you install an OMC/BMC pump kit and T/stats.

fishinhole

Seaman Apprentice

Install a water pressure gauge if you do not have one. A pressure gauge will keep an engine running longer then a temp. gauge. If no water is getting to powerhead, or pump is not working good, or a pressure gauge will show this , But! both a water pres. and water temp. gauge will keep your engine happy.

nina

Cadet

Didn't think about trying to just trim motor down with throttle wide open and see if water peeing improved. Thanks for your help. I'll try trimming down to see if it will improve and if it does then I will check to see why it is sucking air. Jack plate maybe to high?

Hooty

Rear Admiral

"Jack plate might be to high?"<br />Absolutely. That's probably what's happenin'. There's a couple of things you can try but you'll need to install a water pressure gauge first. <br />On your gear case, there are four water intakes on each side. Try plugging the top one on each side as these are the ones coming out of the water. This may solve the problem. If not, look at installing a low water pick-up.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty