advice on break in of rebuilt fast strike

sikpnter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just paid my mechanic 3500.00 for my 97 150 fast strike rebuild and would like some advice on break in because if I have to ever rebuild this motor again I will have to pay alimony and child support. If you catch my drift! I already have the oil mixed in the tank 50:1 Thanks

Mettaree

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: advice on break in of rebuilt fast strike

sikpntr: Mix fuel at 25:1 for first 10 hours.<br /><br />First Hr. For first 5-10 min. operate engine at fasty idle. For remainder of 1st. hour, operate boat on plane , but not over 3000 rpm's.<br /><br />2nd. Hour: Bring boat on plane and reduce power to 4000rpm's. At intervals during 2nd hour, apply full throttle for 1-2 minutes, then reduce to 4000 rpm's Change speeds every 15 minutes.<br /><br />3-10 hours: Avoid continous full throttle operation for the next 8 hours. Change speed every 15 minutes.<br /><br />After 10 hours: Switch to 50:1 mix and retorque head bolts after cylinder head has cooled - IF Applicable.<br /><br />Then head out and run normally.<br /><br /> :)

sikpnter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks jim! That is EXACTLY what I needed to know. By the way what is the torqe in pounds for the heads on this motor?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

What did your rebuilder tell you?<br /><br />How much time has he put on it?<br /><br />Why did it have to be rebuilt and has the cause been fixed?

sikpnter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm in northern utah so our lakes are still iced over and the mechanics tank hasn't thawed yet so he hasn't had a chance to test, he has ran it with muffs on, but thats it. The vro pump went out and that was all she wrote. Yes its all been fixed. He rebuilt engine,carbs and new vro.

Mettaree

Petty Officer 1st Class

With new VRO pump(working) and gas mixed at 50:1 that will put you at 25:1 for your 10 hours of break in. Have fun, be safe and wear that life jacket.<br /><br /> :)