Shopping for a new shop???

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was NOT happy with the shop I used last year to get my 1978 Johnson 115HP running after sitting for the last 20 years. They seemed to charge A LOT, NEVER had the work done when they said (I'm talking WEEKS behind), and I had to return for work that I was told was going to be done, but wasn't (and they charged 2 times for the same work). I also found they left off the fuel line clamps when they rebuilt the carbs and I was leaking raw gas all over the engine.<br /><br />ANYWAY>>>I would like to get a ballpark guestimate cost of some work I want done>>NEW water pump & Thermostats, Plugs, replace lowerend lube, sync & timing, ect...>>>I would also like to have the shop check over the engine and see what else, if anything it needs. I use the boat in coastal waters with my 2 pre-teen sons, and want it RELIABLE & SAFE.>>> I just want a ballpark so know what to expect. The main reason that I want the work done by a shop is that the shop I used last year told me he did NOT change the waterpump???>>So I can only assume he didn't touch the T-stats. They are probably the originals & I'd rather have an experianced hand turning thoose bolts. Also, I want to make sure I'm starting with everything up to specs. I just need a referance point here.<br />Sorry this is so long!!! And thanks for any help!!!<br />BOILERMAKER

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Shopping for a new shop???

Just a ballpark figure will do. Just for referance

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Shopping for a new shop???

There is nothing on your do list that an average driveway wrench cannot do yourself and if you do it you not only save a pile of $$ but you know that it was done correctly. 1978 115s are not rocket science. Get the OMC manual specific for your motor. Can check here:<br /><br /> http://www.theoutboardwizard.bizhosting.com/parts_service_and_owners_manuals.html <br /><br />Now if that were a new motor with all the censors & computers I would take it to a pro - - but not the idiot you described.