61/62 Johnson 3 hp will not run

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer
I bought this motor as a project motor for a dingy.<br /><br />it has new rings, new plugs, good coils, new points, new condensers, new water pump, fair compression, a rebuilt carb and a gravty feed fuel system<br /><br />It tries to run but will not sustain itself,<br />I know I forgot to put a new O-Ring on the top of the crank when I had it apart, the old one is there and it looked servicable. When I try to start it and pull the choke out fuel drips from the carb.<br /><br />I have connected my drill to the flywheel nut and spun it and it tries to run, it fires and the plugs get warm but it just will not keep running on it's own.<br /><br />my Interteck manual sucks, it does not give any overhaul or repair info, just basic tune up stuff.<br /><br />Can anyone help me figure what I may have forgotten to do.<br /><br />New reed valve gaskets are not avail and I had to make my own. I need to know what these gaskets look like

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 61/62 Johnson 3 hp will not run

Can anyone give me the correct timing proceedure for this 1962 3 hp motor. I do not have the special timing tool so I need a way to be sure that the timing with the stator plate, point opening and throttle opening is all correct

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hi Bill....<br /><br />Try the link below for gaskets. They can probably help.<br /><br /> http://www.twincityoutboards.com <br /><br />It would sound like the engine is flooding if you have gas dripping from the throat. The float may need replaced or the float setting is incorrect. Might see if Twin City has a carb kit settin' around also.

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer

it only floods when I close the choke and try to start it

D

DJ

Bill Kubiak,<br /><br />Do you still have the cork float in the carb? If so, replace it.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Bill Clean the plugs,let the motor set a couple hours.Try to start w/choke.Pull twice.If not running,open choke and try again.Some of those old 3's only needed the threat of a choke to get running.<br />DHP

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer

It runs for a few seconds and then it just dies off, I think it is something I may have done incorrectly when I reassembled the motor. It has a new plastic float in the carb, Compression is only so so becuase the new rings are not yet broken in.<br />I could really use the timing proceedure to make sure that is right and a picture of the two reed valve gaskets

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Bill....the only timing you need to worry about is the throttle cam timing. High end is set.<br /><br />Look under behind the carb and you should see a cam attached to the magneto plate. Look for a hash mark on the cam. You will also see a post from the carb which rides against the cam. When the hash mark is centered on the post, the throttle plates should just be starting to open. If not, losen the screws holding the cam and adjust out or in which ever is needed.<br /><br />Just a question on your compression....what means "so-so"? You should have real good compression right now on both cylinders.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Bill,<br /> Timing is easy to set. Line up the point cam rider with the crankshaft keyway. Set the points at .020". That's it.<br /> As for the gasket - there's no real secret to making them. As long as they seal left from right and don't interfere with the opening of the reeds they should be alright.<br /> Do you have the screen in place between the air horn and the carb opening? That is actually critical with these little threes. They draw so little suction on the carb they have to be in a perpetual state of partial choke - which is where the screen comes in, as it partially restricts the intake - akin to running with the choke half on all the time...<br />- Scott

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer

I do not have that screen, what is it like window screen????<br /><br />compression is 55 to 60 psi