1956 evinrude carb adjuster

Drowned Rat

Captain
Hello all. I have a 1956 3hp single cylinder evinrude. This motor has a card adjustment knob on the front. The knob is attached to a shaft that screws into the carb. Attached to the shaft is a metal piece that opens the carb to prime the engine when you turn the knob all the way to the left (richen the mixture to start). My problem is this. The shaft screws into the carb, but you can get about 8-10 full turns on the shaft before it stops. How many turns do I put on the shaft for it to be correct? Or better yet, how many turns do I back it off from all the way in? Once I get the correct number of turns on it, I can reattatch the metal piece that primes the motor. I hope this makes sense, I'm sure those of you familiar with this motor will know what I'm talking about. Thank you much for your help.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: 1956 evinrude carb adjuster

Try and screw it all the way in.Then back it out about a turn and a half.That should be about where it should be when you run it.Now you will have to fine tune it.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

To add to Rolmops' suggestion - the needle should be no more than 2-full turns from closed. Any more than that and you have other issues that should be dealt with.<br /><br />The brass nut at the base of the needle is a packing nut. Gently tightening that will put friction on the needle and help hold it from turning on its own...<br /><br />- Scott

Drowned Rat

Captain

Thank you very much guys, just the info I was looking for!<br /><br />J

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I really don't know what you have there, but it's not a 1956 3 HP. Have you got a model No.?

Drowned Rat

Captain

This is actually a 1956 OMC 3hp. aka (Gale) (Sea King) (Montgomery Ward).

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

This is one of those engines I would have to see, and play it by ear! Sorry! I just don't have service information on those. Hopefully someone does.

Drowned Rat

Captain

RJohnson, this motor was made by OMC's Gale division for sale by Montgomery Ward under the Sea King name. It has OMC written right on the information plate. I don't know if OMC made a 3hp with the Evinrude or Johnson name on it that year, but this motor is the same as similar horsepower motors made around the same time. Thank you for your help. :)

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I now realize what engine you have, These engines were made as " after-market" if this is the correct term. The engines made under the J/E name in 1956 was a 2 cylinder engine with a quite different construction. As I said! I have no service information on your engine, so anything I said would be a guess.