1988 Johnson 88 sp

Ed Holland

Recruit
My motor continues to run, at a slower speed, when I turn the ignition off or when I activate the kill switch. After about 3-5 minutes it will shut off.<br /><br />Any ideas?<br /><br />Thanks, <br /><br />Greenhornet

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: 1988 Johnson 88 sp

Mine does that on occasion too.I usually just put it in gear and it shuts down.Charlie

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a defective ignition switch is not grounding out the engine when you turn the key to off. You can ground the Black/Yellow wire either at the control box or at the coil and see if it stops. If so, it's the switch..

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

So Charlie, you think it's detonation doing it? Sounds like a good time for a decarb job or put new plugs in. Sorry, Didn't see that it ran on SLOWLY after the switch was turned off. Also, might want to check the timing and also make sure the timer base is returning close to full retard when at idle.

arboatdr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

check the connections at the pack where they plug into the engine harness. One of your packs is not grounding out. Most of the time it is corrosion in the amphenol connector. you can use an omh meter on the black/yellow wire (pack side of connector) to see if you are grounding out the stop circuit. I don't reccommend grounding the black/yellow while running as it can shock the crud out of you.

Ed Holland

Recruit

I found the problem why the 88 Johnson would not cut off. As you said, it was the black/yellow. Taped wires had covered up a break. Repaired, cuts off good.<br /><br />Thanks to all.