New to me Evinrude 15

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey everyone - been a while since I posted .. been doing a lot of lurking over the winter.<br /><br />Well, it started to get warm out and I couldn't stand it any more. I got myself a 1984 Evinrude 15 HP to replace my old 5 HP Gamefisher. <br /><br />These motors are a lot different so I bought a manual but I still have a couple of questions:<br /><br />1. I got a new impeller which I'm going to replace this weekend. From what I hear, this is about a 20 min. job. Do I need to replace any gaskets when I drop the gear housing? Any suggestions/hints/tricks?<br /><br />2. My old motor had a sheer pin driving the prop. It looks like the new one uses a cotter pin. Is this right? Where's the protection? Does the cotter pin break if the prop runs aground?<br /><br />3. When I prime the motor to start, how many times should I pump the primer bulb? (It's a rope start)<br /><br />Thanks for the input!

G DANE

Commander
Re: New to me Evinrude 15

hi jsfinn - congratulations with your purchase. Ist a good motor.<br /><br />1: no need to replace any gaskets doing impeller job. In fact there are no gaskets between midsection and gear. Remember to disconnect shift rod before dropping lower unit.<br /><br />2: The cutter pin is only there to prevent your prop nut from loosening. Propeller and gears are protected bu a rubber bushing between hub and propeller that will slip at abuse.<br /><br />3: Pump the bulb untill you can feel carb is filled with gas. Usually 4 - 5 squeeses.<br /><br />Get a manual - links at the buttom of this side - it will pay for itself.<br /><br />Good Luck

oregonducker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

jsfinn,<br />I'm just a backyard mechanic but most of my experience is with older smaller OMC motors. To answer your questions;<br />1. Yes it's very easy if you have any mechanical ability. No gaskets needed just to access the water pump although the water pump itself has gaskets inside but I don't think you have to worry about them if you are only replacing the impeller. If you aren't sure of the condition of the entire pump replace the whole thing. Not just the impeller. The impeller housing can go bad right along with the impeller. A bad water pump is a bad deal. That and no oil in the gas are about the only two things that turn your motor into an instant anchor.<br />2. I think it should have a shear pin. My youngest OMC motor is a '79 so maybe yours is different but all of mine, including a '75 15 <br />horse, use a shear pin. If you remove the prop and there is a cotter pin in the hole in the prop shaft behind where the prop was it was a quick fix. Get a couple shear pins. There is supposed to be a cotter pin through the prop nut just to keep it from coming off.<br />3. Squeeze the bulb until it is firm. Normally that's only necessary for cold starts.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

G Dane and Oregonducker,<br /><br />Thanks for all the info and the link - it all looks great. <br /><br />This is my first time taking apart an outboard so I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I end up with extra parts.. ;) <br /><br />I disconnect the shift rod after I shift into forward and drop the lower unit by about 1/2 inch, correct?<br /><br />Is there any way to tell if the water pump housing is bad or should I just replace it?<br /><br />Thanks again - I'm really glad there is a place like this to learn so much!

D

DJ

jsfinn,<br /><br />The shift rod needs to be disconnected BEFORE the lower unit is dropped.<br /><br />Since you do not know the history of the engine, get the water pump kit. It will have a new housing, impeller and gaskets/seals.<br /><br />Once you're in there, just take your time and make notes as to what you see when you are in the disassembly process.<br /><br />Change the lower unit fluid too. Be sure to replace the fill/drain plug seals.

oregonducker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

jsfinn, <br />A quick look at one of my manuals says the first step is to shift it into reverse not forward. Then remove the bolts then you should be able to get enough gap there to get at the shift rod connector screw. Unscrew it all the way. Once again I don't know how different your '84 is from mine so my info could be off a bit. If you can't get at the screw in reverse then maybe it does need to be in forward.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Just to clarify...<br /> The late model (1974 onwards) 15hp Johnrudes do not use a shear pin. They have splined shafts. The props have a rubber hub that is supposed to give in the event of bottom contact. The cotter pin only holds the propnut from coming off...<br />- Scott

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks again everyone. <br /><br />It looks like there are some mixed thoughts here so I guess I'll pop the hood and see if I can unhook the shift rod from there. If not, I'll gently try to lower the lower unit 1/2 inch or so to take a peek in.<br /><br />Also, I want to check the cyl. compression. The book said the test it when it was warm..How long will it take for the motor to be warm? I guess just a few mins? After I screw in the guage, I guess I just pull the rope a few times and get a reading. I understand I want better than 100 PSI on both cyls and they should be close or at least within 10% of each other.<br /><br />Sorry to ask so many qustions - this is my first time so I want to take it slow and do it right.

BF

Lieutenant

Hi,<br /><br />I've got the same motor (except mine's an '82). The instructions that are on the link that someone posted above are right on the money. You drop the lower unit a bit (the 3/8" bolt heads) then, disconnect the shift shaft in the gap at the front edge. You'll see. Careful not to loose the key that fits under the impeller when you pull the old one off (or drop it down into the water pump base).<br /><br />Also check to make sure the throttle linkage/gears in the tiller arm fit together OK... that's a weak point on these motors. (they can be shimmed up to fit together better it it's a problem)<br /><br />The few times I've done compression tests both cold and hot, I've never noticed much difference, so I'd just do it cold. I'd give it a fresh set of plugs, and check that the pull rope isn't too frayed. I'd rather replace it in the workshop in spring than spend fishin' time doing it. I'd also do new gear oil in case they hadn't replaced it at the end of the season like they should've. Of course it should be water and filing free.... and grease the steering swivel (there are grease fittings for that)... basically the type of things many people don't bother doing at the best of times, least of all when something is gonna be sold.<br /><br />Hope that helps. They're great motors... <br /><br />Brent

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Got it! Thanks everyone! My girl is going shopping Saturday so I've got ALL day to tinker with the moter and I can't wait! I'll post results after I get everything put back together! <br /><br />Thanks!

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok. Whew. I just got back in from working on the new motor and I wanted to post my results and thank everyone again for posting help previously.<br /><br />Here's what I did:<br /><br />I unplugged the spark plugs, drained the gear lube, and then dropped the lower unit about a half inch. I disconnected the shift rod linkage (what a pain the last person put the screw in TOO tight!) the lower unit came off, I took off the pump housing and pulled off the old impeller (making note which way the spines were going). Here's where it got interesting - I bought 2 impellers - I figured it was good to have a spare..well, the first one just wouldn't slide down the shaft so after 15 mins of confusion, I tried the spare one and it fit just fine...WEIRD! I put the key back in and put the lower unit back together. Getting the shift rod linkage back together was difficult.. hard to get the screw back into the hole because it's such a small space.<br /><br />After I got the lower unit back on, I filled it up with new gear lube and then I pulled out one of the spark plugs and hooked up the compression guage. I pulled the starter cord 6 or 7 times and got my reading and then put a new plug in and did the same thing with the other cyl.<br /><br />I put on the muffs, turned the hose on half way or so, and then started up the motor. It started right up and seems to run really well. It idles waaayy down.<br /><br />So, the only thing I have left to do is investigate a problem I might have found with the compression test and I sure would like any help anyone can offer. The guage read 90 PSI on the first cyl. and 85 PSI on the 2nd. From what I understand it should be at least 100 PSI. I tested while the motor was cold. Should I test it when it warm? Also, I guess I'm not 100% sure I had the guage screwed all the way in the block. It uses a different size driver than the spark plug socket so I ended up using some slip joints to get it tight.<br /><br />What does everyone think?<br /><br />Sorry for the long post - I figured if I documented everything, maybe it'll help someone in the future if they search the forum..

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

85 and 90 is not bad at all really .did you have the throttle wide open when doing the testes ? get another gauge and test again but really if it read that and runs well i would not even bother unless you are losing sleep over it haha. they are great little motors i have had a few but still like my 9.5s you might wanna decarb the engine since you got it used and are not sure if it has ever been done. other then that happy fishing

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Compression is just fine. Put in a new set of plugs if you haven't already and you should be good for a couple of years.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Whew - I feel better hearing that!<br /><br />I put new plugs in after I ran the test I'm pretty sure I had the throttle closed all the way - maybe that's why I got a low reading. It's easy to do so maybe I'll try it again with the throttle open all the way. The carb looked like it was in pretty good shape and the whole motor looks pretty clean overall.<br /><br />This is killing me - I got a brand new motor and can't find time to go take the boat out on the lake!<br /><br />I'm just sure it's going to FLY now!<br /><br />Thanks, ya'll!