1967 6hp part 2

mclaught

Cadet
Ok, I got the fuel pump on, the carb was clogged and I took that off and cleaned it, the float looks like crap, but at this point, that's the only float I have. I cleaned it up as well as I could, put it together and when I tried to start it, I get a pretty impressive backfire every 10 pulls or so. It won't start.<br />To get the carb off, I had to remove the clamp that connects to the little rubber roller camshaft. When I put it back on, I'm sure I've got the adjustment wrong. How do I adjust that roller and cam so that I know it's aligned correctly. As always, thanks in advance.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1967 6hp part 2

Howdy, Mclaught.<br /><br />You will do yourself big favors if you:<br /><br />1. Bump your original thread to the top with this new information, so that helpers have the whole story and don't have to come in in the middle.<br /><br />2. Get yourself a Repair Manual or check one out at your library so that the Link'n'Synch procedure will be explained with pictures as well as words.<br /><br />I think you are on the right track with mag/carb synchronization.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Backfires typically mean one of three things...<br /><br />1. You've got the plug wires reversed. All magneto fired OMC twins use the front coil to fire the top cylinder.<br /><br />2. You've sheared the flywheel key. Caused by improper torquing of the flywheel nut, or a dirty crankshaft/flyhwelel taper.<br /><br />3. Too much choke.<br /><br />- Scott

mclaught

Cadet

Checked out the manual I just got in the mail today, set the cam follower properly. While that may have been out of adjustment, I don't think it had as much to do with my problem as having the spark plugs crossed. Chinewalker, I owe you a beer. I picked this motor up for $130 on ebay a week ago, replaced the fuel pump, cleaned the carb, crossed the spark plugs and she fired up and is smoking like a civil war cannon battery. Sweet. Thanks to all who replied.