96 25HP Johnson Hub Spinning

RVRDUX

Recruit
I am having a frustrating problem with my motor. I am running this motor on a 1650 Express flatbottom boat. The problem I am having is that when I am out fishing I can stop and start a dozen times but a couple of these times the motor will act like the hub is spun. It doesn't matter if I am at 1/4 throttle or full throttle. I let up on the gas and try to get going again and it still acts like it is slipping. I am on my third new prop thinking it was the hub. Could I have to much load and keep spinning the hub. It is not cavitation or blow out. I know what this is. This is driving me nuts. I would think if it was gears it would do it all the time. <br />Thanks for any help.<br /><br />Troy

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 96 25HP Johnson Hub Spinning

Where is your cavitation plate in relation to the bottom of the hull? How do you know it's not cavitation? Any transducers from fishfinders or other equipment mounted on the stern that may be disturbing the flow of water to the prop? What type and pitch prop are you running?<br /><br />
shaftexmp2.jpg

RVRDUX

Recruit

The caviation plate is 1/2 inch below the bottom of the boat. I wished I could blame it on cavitation. If it was cavitation I would experiance it all the time and not got slow or at any speed. Trim angle would also cure the problem. It does it at any trim angle. Prop size is 10 1/4*11.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Troy

D

DJ

RVRDUX,<br /><br />Check to be sure your hub is not spinning.<br /><br />Mark a line on the propshaft and a corresponding line on the prop OUTER hub. Run it. If the lines no longer match up, the hub is spun.