I'am going to burn it.....

Ruffis

Cadet
Here is my problem again..Just got my 1978 Johnson 115 back from the mechanic because we could not get it started.(This is the second time we had it to him because it would not start for me). He cleaned the carbs and it ran perfect. Both times when I went and picked it up from him, he would hit the key and off she goes,runs perfect. I take her home and let her set for a couple of days and guess what...SHE WONT START. I put in new gas tanks and gas,hoses,primer bulb. She has plenty of spark, but won't even act like she wants to start.I have tried putting gas in the spark plug holes and have even tried starting fluid, but again, she doesn't even make an attempt to start...If I can't get any idea's here why she won't start, I might just shoot her and put her or me out of our missouri..Thanks for any help that you might have......

bobbya

Cadet
Re: I'am going to burn it.....

How's your battery? These motors require a full 12volts! Make sure all connections are clean and tight! Also check power harness for good connection.Does motor crank or click? Make sure your in netural,I'm not a mech but i've had my share of problems too!!!!!!! :D

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Ruffis.... As Bobby indicates, the engine requires the proper starting elements. The ignition is self contained, meaning that it is not dependent on battery voltage being applied to the powerpack..... actually, any battery voltage applied to that type powerpack will destroy the pack!<br /><br />There is a stator under the flywheel that is serves two purposes. One is to supply AC voltage to the rectifier foor battery charging purposes.<br /><br />The second purpose is to supply the needed approximate 300v AC to the powerpack. In order for the stator to provide that AC voltage, the engine must be cranking over at least 300 rpms. If it turns over slower than that, the result is no spark/ignition.<br /><br />Even with a faulty battery, loose or faulty/dirty cable connections, etc (with the spark plugs out) the engine may turn over at a higher rpm which would result in proper spark/ignition. BUT with the spark plugs installed, the resulting compression drags the rpms down which results in having the powerpack failing to be energized (no spark).<br /><br />Bottom line... Make sure the battery is in tip top condition. Check all connections at the battery and engine. Remove, clean, and install the cables using a wrench or pliers, not your fingers.<br /><br />Even with all cables being clean and tight, the possibility remains that a cable could be faulty (corroded) internally. If so, while cranking, that portion of the cable will get quite hot. A hand check will reveal that if it exists.<br /><br />If the battery and all connectons are okay, and th engine still cranks too slow, suspect the starter itself. Hopefully this has been of some help to you.

Ruffis

Cadet

Thanks guys.....You might be onto something here. I have a brand new battery and fully charged, I have noticed that the positive terminal of the battery gets so hot you can't touch it. Also the positive cable to the motor gets extremely warm. I personally don't think this is normal, but my paw-in-law says that it is o.k....Could it be that the positive wire is bad???? Thanks for your help.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ahoy, Ruffis.<br /><br />That's what the FAQ is for.<br /><br />Check out the troubleshooting steps in the "Outboard Wont Start" article.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Rufis.... You state "I have noticed that the positive terminal of the battery gets so hot you can't touch it. Also the positive cable to the motor gets extremely warm. I personally don't think this is normal, but my paw-in-law says that it is o.k."<br /><br />I believe I just explained all that in my previous post/reply.... and your Paw In Law is mistaken.

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

I'm wondering what is different when at the mechanics or at home? Is he using your battery and setup when it runs great for him? Is he using muffs and you are on the water with the lower unit submerged?