impellor change

brother chris

Commander
Okay, I am changing my impellor on my 1978 55hp Evinrude. I am trying to save some of my pocket change by doing this myself.<br /> It all sounds easy enough, but when I took the 6 bolts out, the exhaust houseing only dropped about 6 inches.... :mad: I do have a manual, but I am confused about something. <br />In the manual, at the beginning of chapter 8, there is a description of the lower unit and there is a picture of a nut of some sort being disconnected between the exhaust housing and the leg. The picture looks like a 4-15hp o/b, but mine is a 55hp. So I don't know if this relates to my situation? :confused: <br />There is no nut as it says to disconnect.(oh, okay, the picture says it is disconnecting the shift connector). But still, there is nothing there to disconnect on my motor. <br />I know this is a simple procedure to do, but I neeed help cause I can't figure it out. <br />Oh, I tried putting it in reverse and the leg seem to drop a bit, and when I put it in forward, it went up a bit. <br />I just read that when installing the lower unit,that the spark plug wires are disconnected from the spark plugs...why would you disconnect the spark plug wires in the first place? :confused: <br /><br />I hope all this does not sound stupid, and I bet once I actually finish the job I will feel like an idiot(cause I know this is a simple task). <br /><br />Thanks in advance for any help.

ob

Admiral
Re: impellor change

If your engine is not electric shift but mechanical you'll need to disconnect the shift rod linkage under the lower carb area.Lift the lower unit back up in place first and reinsert a couple of the bolts.This will relieve the bind it is now in before you remove the shift rod bolt.It's a bugar to get to, so be patient.Good luck.

brother chris

Commander

Thanks Ob. I knew you would supply me with the info I needed. :D You guys rock, and that is why I recommend this site to all my boating friends, for forums, and to buy whatever we need for boating. <br />Cheers, and I will let you know how everything goes. Right now it is raining :( , so I will change it tommorrow when the rain subsides. <br />Hopefully my nerves won't get the best of me while I do this......ahhhhhhh, short tempers, don't ya love em. ;)

ob

Admiral

Glad to help.Hope it goes smoothe for ya.And ,yes ..in somewhat of a sick way ,I do love short tempers. :D

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

you remove the spark plug wires so you dont have an acidental start when messing with the lower unit. trust me you might not think that turning the prop alittle will start a motor but i have seen a deisel engine start from some 1 turning the flywheel with a screwdriver to take out the coverter bolts.ALWAYS take off the plug wires.you will need all your fingers if you wanna keep wrenching.good luck and happy wrenching with all your fingers hahaha

brother chris

Commander

Thanks Wayne. <br />I don't have the battery hooked up at the moment, but I will disconnect the spark plug wires anyhow. It only takes a second to do it. <br />Cheers....<br />Bro Chris...

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Bor Chris<br />I have a 1980 Johnson 55 and I've just done a water pump job :D <br /><br />You will need to remove the starter motor on your engine to get to the gear shift linkage screw/bolt. Also, I found that I had to remove the bolt completely before the lower unit would drop off.<br /><br />If I were you, I'd tighten up one or two of the lower unit bolts, then engage reverse at the remotes before removing the gear shift bolt.<br /><br />Hey, listen to this, I'm a complete novice and I'm giving out advice! :D I must add that I have only gained the confidence to work on my engine through reading the posts on this site. These good people have guided me through every step of the way and got me out of some tricky situations.

Mettaree

Petty Officer 1st Class

For the life of me I can't imagine why it should be raining in Vanc. B.C. . I lived in Vanc. WA. for 1 1/2 yr. ('79/80) all we ever had was constant liquid sunshine. Best time of my life, even watching Mt. St. Helens in '80.<br /><br /> :)

brother chris

Commander

Thanks Steviecopps for the info. It kinda looked like the starter had to come off in order to get at anything in there. <br /> I just went outside to look at the bolt, and as ob says, it is a *itch to get at. I saw two bolts, one facing the port side with a screw behind it, and one facing forward(towards the front of the boat). I hope I am taking off the right one. I choose the port side bolt. I think I will wait for ob, or someone to let me know if this is the right bolt to take out. <br />See, I am a novice at this as well....weighing my options whether to just have a mechanic do it, but I would rather do it myself. <br />I have to go out with the wife for groceries right now, but I am going to tackle this as soon as I get back. <br />I do have a manual, but nowhere in it does it say to take a bolt out under the carb. I don't know why? It is a Seloc book for johnson/ evinrudes from 1971-1989 models. <br />If someone could tell me which bolt to take out I would really appreciate it. I know I can do this. <br />Thanks in advance for any info.<br />Yeah, and as for the weather here, it sucks. Last night at 9pm it said it was going to rain all day. There is not a bloody cloud in the sky now. I need to buy a barometer and forecast the weather myself :D

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Bro<br />On my engine it was the bolt on the port side, 3/8 I think. I would say that it would be the same as your engine.

brother chris

Commander

I got the bolt out, and yes, thanks Steviecops, it was the one on the port side. <br />After checking the impellor, it all seemed ok, not worn or anything. <br />Now when I went to put the exhaust housing back on, it all lined up but the problem now is that the rod that goes back where I took the bolt out won't go back up far enough for me to put the pin bolt back in. <br />Is there a trick to get it up where it needs to be? :confused: <br />That is about where I am at now. Any tips anyone.<br />Thanks in advance,<br />Bro Chris....

ob

Admiral

Move the shift lever into reverse or forward .This will change the position of the shift arm in relation to the shift rod.If you don't have an assistant,it's easier to just remove the throttle cable clevis pin from the shift arm and then you can move the shift arm from the engine location.

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

hope you changed the impeller and not just "checked" it. u went that far change it. i have seen them look good and not work good.

brother chris

Commander

Thanks ob. I will try it in the morning. Got dark too fast. <br />And yes Wayne, I did check the impellor and it looks like new. I cleaned out all the gunk that was in there but, no, I did not change it. I have the new one in front of me. I want to put it together first and try it and see if it comes out the "p" hole. <br />Do you really think I SHOULD have changed it? <br />Now that I know it only takes only 20 mins to do this, if nothing comes out of the "p" hole I will go back and change it. <br />I have not ruled out anything clogging the hose yet, so I guess I should try that too. I just heard you should change your impellor every year.

ob

Admiral

Ditto.Those impellers tend to take a set (lose elasticity)after a spell and while they may appear to be in good condition they are not squeezed against the stainless cup as tight as a new one and will not produce good flow.Always a good practice to change unit out with a complete kit (impeller,housing,cup,etc..)when servicing.Good luck.

brother chris

Commander

Okay, I kinda thought you guys would say something like that. <br />On your advice I will get the whole housing. I only bought the impellor. I did not know that you could buy the whole housing. I wish they would tell you that when you buy the thing.<br />Thanks guys, I will post tomorrow after installation and let you know how it went. <br />Thanks, Brother Chris.... :D

brother chris

Commander

Okay, day 3 of this impellor change. <br />I put it back together with the old impellor still in, and went to start it, and no water came out....so I took everything apart and change with new impellor. <br />Now all I am waiting for is a friend to help me put the exhaust housing onto the leg. That is the most difficult without a friend to help. <br />Does anyone know/or have a trick of how to do it yourself? It is kinda hard to turn the flywheel a the same time as lifting the exhaust housing. <br />If no-one know a trick of how to do this alone, I will wait for my bud to come over. <br />I will post to let you know how things went.<br />Cheers, <br />Bro Chris...

lmoreau

Seaman

I just did mine and did it by myself...I put the motor in the full up position to get a better angle at it...lifted and it wouldn't go all the way. Try turning the prop instead of the flywheel, as it may be easier for you to reach. Also, make sure your shift rod is facing true bow/aft instead of port/starboard, as once you bolt the thing up, that shift rod is hard to turn to get it to fit in that doohickey that the control lever links to.

brother chris

Commander

Thanks Lee. I will try that in the morning(I'm at work now). We are going fishing tomorrow so I guess it helps if I get everything working. <br />Cheers, <br />Bro Chris...