71 Johnson 50 Water Pump Install Questions

spike440

Seaman
HI, I'm replacing the water pump in my outboard. <br /><br />I have an OMC service manual, but it's vague on the water pump. <br /><br />The only place around here that could get a water pump kit was NAPA. <br /><br />They can't get the aluminum housing, and mine is a bit crusty. The old water pump is suprisingly intact and supple, but the ends are rather worn. <br />Do I need to replace the aluminum housing? I got a new steel plate, and the seals. Should I grease everything? <br /><br />I didn't see any traces of a gasket either, should there be one? Can I use silicone instead? <br /><br />Where can I get a new gasket for the rectangular exhaust pipe?<br /><br />Your wisdom is appreciated!<br />-Spiker

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 71 Johnson 50 Water Pump Install Questions

hello<br /> try a jonnyrude dealer. you can still buy most of it. and if the housing is chewed up it will be ineffecient and chew a new impeller quickly. the pump has to seal on all sides as well as the ends at low speeds. I dont think there was a gasket between the pump and the plate but I think there was one under the plate.<br /> all are still avalible from jonny/rude<br />good luck and keep posting

Cadet

I just did a water pump on a 74 50 Rude and the guy got a rebuild kit from a local dealer that had everything in it.<br />I believe he said it was @ 60 bucks but worth it with something as important as a water pump.<br />So get with your local OMC dealer and they should be able to set you up.<br />5150

spike440

Seaman

That's the trouble, no "local" outboard dealers in the middle of nowhere Ohio. I guess the internet will have to do.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Might try here and see if this includes the housing:<br /><br /> web page # 389133 OEM Pump kit<br /><br />PHONE: 850-936-4231<br /><br />Another thought. You may be able to call a dealer somewhere in Ohio, order it, pay for it over the phone with a credit card and see if they will ship it to you for a small charge. Done it before...