Intermitent warning horn

sanelson

Cadet
I have an 89 Johnson 200hp looper. After running the boat for 1.5-2hrs at 3500 to 5500 rpm, the warning horn will go off at 1-2 second intervals. I reduce the rpm by a couple of hundred rpm and it goes out. A few minutes later it may or may not go off again. As long as I stay at 3500 or under, it doesnt go off. Was told to check anti-siphon valve, but found the tank fitting had been run without one. Any ideas? Theres some really good input on this site.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Intermitent warning horn

Hi sanelson....<br /><br />First let me give you a list of alarms associated with yer rig and you pick the one that best describes your problem.<br /><br />Steady Tone....This indicates overheat or no or restricted fuel flow.<br /><br />A 1/2sec alarm every 20sec's or so. This indicates low oil level in the VRO tank.<br /><br />An urgent 1/2 sec tone every 1/2 sec. This indicates no or restricted oil flow to the VRO pump.<br /><br />Which one does it sound like? Reason why I ask is that the alarm your describing don't fit any of the above alarms. So that's why the questions.<br /><br />Thanks for being patient.

sanelson

Cadet
Re: Intermitent warning horn

1/2 second tone every 1/2 second. The VRO was disconnected, all wiring removed, and alternate pump was installed. The water pressure gauge did not show any change in pressure. One other strange occurance is that the first time this happened, when I would idle back, the horn would go out, but when I would hit a wave, the horn would chirp when the boat bounced.