78 15HP, wont start after wash

The RealRookie

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Had the motor running this morning before i went in with a deep clean. Now it wont start and my wrist is killing me. I checked for spark and its getting fuel. What could get wet and make it so it wont run? Whats the best way to get it started again, or maybe its flooded?

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: 78 15HP, wont start after wash

If it's flooded, take out the spark plugs and dry off the firing end with a cloth. There'll likely be a drop of gasoline across the gap if they're flooded.

The RealRookie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

When i took them out and checked for spark, they were pretty wet but there was no fuel across the gap.<br /><br />I did plug up the air inlet buy shoving a plastic bag filling up the whole inlet, so i dont think there is any water in the cylinders.<br /><br />If its flooded... How would i know really? Can they BE flooded by pumping to much fuel in via the fuel lines pump?<br /><br />My wrist is killing me and its going to rain tomorrow. The next day, or the next i might have some help with pulling this SOB.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Try a hair dryer. You may have gotten some old wireing wet? Spashed water (not real sure what you did to "deep clean") up under the flywheel? Take a hair dryer and dry everything out real good. <br /><br />If the primer bulb is pumping up snug, then you shouldn't be flooding the engine that way. <br /><br />Put some gas/oil mix in a spray bottle and shoot a little down the throat of the carb and see if it fires.<br /><br />Rig a spark tester to measure the spark across a gap at least 7/16" wide. Each cylinder should have a strong hot white spark.<br /><br />Keep us posted....thanks.

The RealRookie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

By deep clean i mean, scubbed with degreaser and stuff. This motor looked like it hadnt been cleaned in years, or its appearence wasnt a priority. <br /><br />Is there something up under the flywheel that shouldnt get wet?<br /><br />Basicly the whole thing got wet. I only prevented water from entering the air intake.<br /><br />Thanks

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Yeah ya' got stuff under the flywheel. Charge coil, timer coil although this is a sealed unit, and if you have charging, a stator. If you got access to compressed air, blow some air up under the flywheel and maybe shake lose any water under there. Some degreasers are pretty harsh. Ya' sure nothin got hurt usin the stuff?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Might pull the plugs and give it 5 or 6 yanks and see if any water comes out. If there's any water in the cylinders, it won't fire easily. You do have good spark?? Wasn't sure from your post. Maybe you blew a wire off when spraying it down. Never know...

The RealRookie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah, its getting as good spark now as it was when i tested before getting running the first time.<br /><br />Its going to rain on and off next couple days so im just gonna let it sit in the basement and try again saturday or so, should have plenty of time to dry. The basement is pretty warm too, so thats a plus.<br /><br />If it wont go, ill have to pull the flywheel and play with it.<br /><br />If i had electric start my wrist wouldnt hurt at all, so no, no electric starter (i wish it had it).<br /><br />Thanks

The RealRookie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Pulled the flywheel. Looked like it got wet under there as there was a bit or rust forming on the electrical parts. Cleaned that all up, still wouldnt start. Went and picked up a set of new plugs and starting fluid. Pumped the starting fluid in the cylinders and it finaly started after a few minutes of messing with it.<br /><br />This was yesterday BTW. Then we let it sit for a few hours and wouldnt start again. Put it away for the night after that.<br /><br />Today, i took the carb off to check it out, it was as clean as clean can be, so i put it back on. It was full of fuel so i know its working right. <br /><br />I pulled the plugs and they were soaked. What im thinking now is, the throttle stop is not letting it get ANY air, or almost NONE at all. The stop that prevents it from being started in gear and the throttle stop that lets the throttle move only so far for when starting the engine, i think are outta wak.<br /><br />I disconnected the stop that prevents it from being started in gear (can get more throttle this way) and the stop that only lets the throttle go so far when in nutruel are readjusted now.<br /><br />Didnt have time today to play with it anymore, or go get new fuel lines (they are both dry rotted) so ill have to wait a few more days to get it outside and try and see what these things will do, since we are expecting 1 to 3 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow.<br /><br />Seems to me, the engine is getting plenty of fuel but not any air. Nevermind the choke, the carbs butterfly wasnt openning hardly at all. If ya follow me....<br /><br />Any thoughts on my progress?

The RealRookie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

God i wish i knew more about these engines. All that junk i did and she fired up with three pulls today. I bout pee'd my pants!<br /><br />Got it all adjusted so the butterfly actualy opens some instead of choking the life out of it.

Yeah, those throttle stops can be a bit of a pain. Sometimes engines need a little throttle to start. Then again, some dont.<br /><br />Glad ya got her running. No sence in breaking your rist about this. Obviously something isn't right. Right?

The RealRookie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Can anyone help me out with some tuning details on this motor. What gap should i run? And what temp does the thermostat open at? I ran it yesterday and it was pumping fine but the head was real hot to the toutch.<br /><br />Thanks

BF

Lieutenant

Were you running it in a barrel, or with a hose attached? If from a hose, the water pressure can force water through the cooling system, and make a bad water pump appear OK. I don't recall the t-stat temp... someone else can help with that...<br /><br />One other thing, you should't use starting fluid in a 2-stroke. (it doesn't have lubrication in it) if you need to squirt something in the carb, use gas/oil premix (like suggested by OBJ above).<br /><br />have you seen this link yet? Lot's of good info...<br /><br />15 hp maintenance article <br /><br />good luck.<br /><br />Brent

The RealRookie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys. Yes i was running with the hose AND witout at times, in a large cooler. Ive used that link for weeks now. Its a awsome read.<br /><br />When using starting fluid, it also had fuel, jsut that little extra umph was all i was using the fluid for.<br /><br />But, it all doesnt matter now. I sold the motor this morning and am now looking for that perfect 6hp ive been wanting. Come to find out, my primer bulb was bad too.<br /><br />Thanks for the help and ill be sure to be back reading up on the new engine i find.