Timing, right or wrong

Have a 1987 90 HP VRO Crossflow, just recently had to readjust timing. Timing calls for 4 deg BTDC before Pick UP. Is this before Throtle pick up or before timer base movement. Also, the 3 ajustment points on this engine, could someone please Identify each and their use. Especilly the roller that connects the 2 linkages together. Last question for curiousity. What is the difference between 1987 115 HP and the 1987 90 HP. How can I gain the extra 25 hp??????????

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Timing, right or wrong

Usually if the link and sync is okay, you don't have to sweat the pickup timing, just the full advanced timing. If the timing hasn't been changed, about the only time it's necessary to retime is if major work has been done, like the crankshaft replaced.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

Thanx Hooty, But you just about nailed what caused me to have to mess with the timing. Had to replace bearings and throtle linkages. And I am just not real sure how to reset the sinc on the linkages. Not really sure exactly what it does.<br /><br />Distress

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Do you have the OMC manual or an aftermarket?<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

Unfortunatly Hooty, I have neither. Have ordered one, just waiting for it to arrive. Was trying to get a jump on this timing thing sooner. I have a tourny this weekend, and am not sure if manual will be here before then.<br /><br />Distress