information

sitimortlab

Cadet
i have a1978 evenrude 140 hp outboard i just purchesed model no 140843c seemed to run great until after i run it a while then cant get it torun agaain starts then stops very hard to get started again if i can get it going. what can someone tell me about these engins

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: information

When you try to restart it, does it turn over but not start or is it locked up and will not turn over? Does it die by itself or do you shut it off with the key?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

So were cruising along and it just quits as if the key was shut off and it turns over but will not start, right?

sitimortlab

Cadet

someone told me these engins were a v 4 and that they had a re call on them to change the pistons and if this hasent ben don to my engin it wasant worth fixing .he is a marine mec i brought the engin to repair it. but when he told me this and tryed to sell me a new engin im became very suspicious of him this engin has ben in service for many years and runs fine for a half hour or so .just when you try restarting it acts weird.i have lost trust in him and would like other opinions before i make any decisions about this engin.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

OK, so its running fine and you shut it off to fish, then it wont restart after it sits. <br /><br />A quick check of the spark at that point would be in order. If we have spark, we'll look at some sort of fuel restriction. Running on a different fuel source will eliminate that if you want to try that first.<br /><br />There was no recall on any V4. There was a design change in the pistons due to the lead being removed from the fuel. Although those early pistons will be fine in a properly set up motor.