'65 through '68's -- are they the same?

mclaught

Cadet
First time poster, long time lurker, forgive me if this has been answered before, I ran numerous searches and couldn't find an answer. <br /><br />I just acquired a 1967 Johnson 6hp, CD-24D, I've found the service manual from 1968 and 1966, but of course I can't find a 1967. From the descriptions, model #'s and pics I've seen, it seems to me that years 1965 through 1968 are pretty much the same motor. Is that correct, and would the service manual from any of these years apply to my motor? Also, the evinrude service manual would be the same as the johnson except for the part #'s, right? Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: '65 through '68's -- are they the same?

Mclaught, a belated welcome!<br />A quick survey of my aftermarket manual finds no difference in the powerhead specifications (ie, piston/ring clearances, etc), a change in the link and sync procedure in 1967, and a change in the starter rope lenght in 1968.<br /><br />I'm guessing there was a fairly sizeable change made under the hood in '67, and a change to the pull start in '68.<br /><br />Evinrudes and Johnsons share the same part numbers, except where they're different. That is exclusively in the styling department. IE, the cowling would have a different part # on a Johnson VS a Rude, but the flywheel part number would be the same.<br /><br />The OEM service manuals do not have a lot of part numbers in them. You need the parts list for that. Check out how www.kencook.com sells them.<br /><br />PS - My '64 OEM manual also covers the '63 version of the engine, and explains differences between the two, as well as service procedures for the '63 engine where they're different. I don't know if they were still doing that in '68.<br /><br />EDIT: I just looked over the promo liturature. They claim some significant changes in '66. Could be my manual is in error about '67.<br /><br />Hope this helps!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Those motors are 99% the same, save for cosmetic differences. Any of those manuals will be able to help you get the motor running and properly tuned....<br />- Scott

mclaught

Cadet

I appreciate it, I think I'll go ahead and get the '68 manual. I just cranked the motor up for the first time, it did start right up, but fuel was spraying out of the fuel pump. Off to find a new diaphram and gasket. Wish me luck.