rust protection on engine part

Salty Sal

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Last year my boating season was cut in half because <br />of a blown piston. Started working on the boat this past weekend and notice the hydraulic pump and the long pin (used to protect the engine from kicking upward when in reverse) were very rusty. 1- best way to remove the rust to bare metal to repaint/treat. 2- what do I apply to the part after the rust is removed 3- does this part usually go bad on an engine thats 19 years old (1985 140 VRO) 4- If this part (pump) goes during the season, do I need to pull the boat out of the water to repair/replace it(dread the idea- since I lost half of last season and don't want a repeat performance) Thank you for your response

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: rust protection on engine part

I think you are talking about the moveable pin in the bottom of the staern brackets to adjust how far down the motor will tilt. If so, you can remove that altogether. Since the motor has PT/T you are very seldom on it anyway. <br /><br />I'm sure you mean the elecrtic motor part of the PT/T is rusted. You may want to replace that now. Its gonna need replacing at some point. I guess you could do it in the water but I wouldnt do it that way.<br /><br />Good luck!