Timing light to check spark at plug on 2 cycle?

Beck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi to All,<br /><br />As my other rather lenghtly post reads, if I have a piston dropping out because of spark will a timming light catch it? Will I be able to see it in the daylight? Mind you I'm talking about a automotive type timing light. After work I will check this site and if it will work I will go out and try to determine which plug is droping out.<br /><br />Thanks for the input

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Timing light to check spark at plug on 2 cycle?

Yep. What ya' can do is bring #2 up TDC and make a mark at the on the flywheel at the timing pointer. Give you something to see. Should be able to see it if it's firing.

Beck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks OBJ<br /><br />That was quick! You answered before I even edited.<br />Thanks for the input on marking the #2 piston position. As I said I will try it after work.<br /><br />Been thinking about my engine problems all night, really bugs me. Thats the problem being a DYI. Not to mention a dealership trying to find a intermitten problem. You don't know if they have it fixed until you pay them. And if its not fixed, then what.<br /><br />Off to work now.<br /><br />Thanks again.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Before beating yourself up over this, make sure you have new plugs of the receommended type that are gapped correctly and new wiring.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Cobra gives good advice Beck. Don't lose sleep over the thing. And if the dealership dosen't fix it and they say they did, haul it back. They should gurantee their work.<br /><br />And if ya' are a DYI'er....get a service manual. Will tell you ton's of stuff.

Beck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OBJ<br /><br />I did recently get a manual and have been reading it all day today, slow day at work. Got a lot of info. from it. One thing puzzles me, they reference a M-80 or a S-80 tester, are these special testers or can a fluke vom meter test them. Also a spark plug tester is also mentioned, is this necessary or can you just test the spark with a timming light? They also mention a neon tester what exactly is that? And where can you get one. I just purchased a compression tester and will be checking that. I don't think I have trouble with the compression as it runs perfect until it starts missing??? Go figure.<br /><br />I just got home and not sure if I will be able to get out today to check engine, but I will check several things with the timing light and marking both cylinders so it will be easier to check in the bayou under power when it starts missing.<br /><br />Thanks for all the input guys,<br />Beck

Beck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cobra,<br /><br />Thanks for the input. I have new plugs and you say new wiring do you mean spark plug wiring??<br />The wireing is original, rather old I would expect. If all this is because of the wiring I don't know what I would do, besides being overjoyed. Can I ohm them out or should I just go out and buy new ones? What do you guys think? Would wired hit and then miss like that?<br /><br />Thanks again.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Timing light is a good safe way when you're out on the water and trying to find out if you are losing spark under a load or after the engine gets hot. Just keep the wires in check...

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Yes, a spark plug wire if shorted, cut or somewhat broken internally would cause that symptom. If in doubt or they are old, replace them. Also, you may want to run it at night on the muffs and look for an errant spark coming off the wires..

Beck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well Guys,<br /><br />An update, wasn't able to get out on the water but did check several things with muffs on:<br /><br />1. Compression 130# top and 132# bottom.<br /><br />2. Bluish white spark easily 1/2" was getting dark<br /> easy to see.<br /><br />3. Fuel gauge in fuel rail, regular 30# air guage,<br /> pumps with bulb to 10# eventually drops to 5 <br /> and holds there. Running perfect it reads aprox<br /> 4# and stays there. When motor acts up acts up<br /> at WOT it stays the same at aprox. 4 #'s.<br /><br />4. Checked timing and marked #2 piston. Runing in <br /> driveway with muffs on #1 timing at aprox. TDC<br /> and should be a 19 deg. Will this correct at <br /> WOT? Read in a prev. post the it need to be set<br /> at WOT.<br /><br />5. Now for the plug wires. Both are rusted at the <br /> the plug end and both were greasy at the coil <br /> end. Tried to ohm them out. <br /> - 4k ohm scale..... no reading either wire<br /> - 40k " " ...... " " " "<br /> - 400k " " ...... 30 to 250 top wire<br /> meter not able to get a good reading<br /> ... bottom wire no reading<br /> - 40 m ohm "........20.00-30.00 m ohm top wire<br /> ... bottom wire no reading<br /> - 400 ohm scale ... no wire top or bottom<br /><br />What scale do you check wires? And Can you make them with automotive wire kits or I suppose I should just buy a set from the dealer, they probable shouldn't be that much.<br /><br />Thanks to All!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

You can make them, but you must use copper core wires.

Beck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Guys,<br /><br />Put new plug wires on, purchased from dealer already made up. Still missing at little over 2k rpm.<br /><br />Checked spark with timing light. Both cylinders.<br />When it starts missing I am losing spark, same for both cylinders.<br /><br />What components are common to both plugs that could be problem?? I'm thinging capacitor? <br />Coil? And powerpak? How about the pickups are they seperate? One for each plug?<br /><br />I don't think I can check them because the are working up to 2k rpm therefore they act up and will test good checking with ohm meter at home. <br /><br />Which order of parts would you more experienced guys purchase first? Cheapest to expensive I would think or which is more likely to be at fault.<br /><br />Thanks in Advance.<br />Beck<br /><br />Ps. Mod and Ser #'s are in earlier post and so are the history. But if you need it here i will be glad to supply.