New Boat Power Option

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm buying a Polar 19 ft DV Center Console and am certain I will putting 4 stroke power on it. The boat is rated for 150 hp max and I have entertined the thoughts of going for the gusto with Yamaha's new 150hp four stroke. The standard package is with a Yamaha 115 four stroke which the dealer assures me is adequate. I will be using the boat for great lakes fishing and pulling the kids around on a tube. I thought of more ponies because the kids are small and light now, but as they grow and perhaps bring a friend along, weight will be a greater issue. However, the 115 will be about 60lbs less than the 150 which will be a plus. The 150hp upgrade will be about $2,500. Test data with the 115 shows the boat cruising WOT in excess of 40 MPH which I would be satisfied with. I would expect better with the 150 but thinking it may be overkill for most situations.<br />Other than power and money....What do I have to gain & what do I have to loose.<br /><br />Helpful advice appreciated<br />Kevin

Re: New Boat Power Option

If you are just going to pull the kids in a tube 25mph is about what the can go and still stay on, 40mph would be pretty scary! If they want to ski you should still have plenty of juice.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Ask the dealer to arrange a demo ride in a rig he has already sold. Or a demo ride in your new boat with the 115 just to see. And if its not quick enough then he can upgrade you.<br /><br />Nothin' like first hand experiance........

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You want to be satified cruising at say 4000 rpm, so you aren't running at wot all the time. Easier on the engine, and the pocketbook. <br /><br />$2500 now, or $$$$ later if you want to upgrade. <br /><br />Also, test data is probably for one or two people in the boat, with no gear and half a tank of fuel.<br /><br />Arg arg arg, More power.

PAkev

OK Fellas,<br /><br />Now say my 115 is at WOT (5500 RPMS) with a light load on board; What difference in fuel economy can I expect between this and a 150 which is not opened up all the way? <br /><br />Other than beating a weather front, I'm not planning to be in any races so speed isn't really the issue here but could I expect a longer life from the 150 and perhaps a little better economy?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Kevin

mattttt25

Commander

kevin- go with the 150hp, trust me. i read a lot of boating magazines, and there have been quite a few articles lately about this topic. consumer polls show people that go with the higher hp tend to be more satisfied and happy with their boat. boats get heaveir as time goes on- you'll introduce more gadgets and gizmos, your kids will get bigger, and your kids will want to bring their friends. you'll want the power.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

If you can afford it, go with the larger engine, you will be money ahead because the engine will not be as stressed because it isn't being wound out all the time (why people do not understand that you shouldn't run wide open all the time I'll never know) which leads to better fuel economy and less wear and tear, the resale will be better, you will be able to pull that chunky buddy who just HAS to go waterskiing. It is better to have more power and not use it than less power and need it. I have 125 horses on a 16.5 foot boat, and I usually cruise at around 3000 rpms, gives good cruise speed and acceptable fuel economy, and I know I still have 2500 rpms if I need 'em.

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's much chaeaper to buy the power now then to upgrade later. I friend of mine had a 17' ski boat with 100hp on it. He skied with it but it really struggled to pull a skier out of the hole on one ski. He ended up blowing up the powerhead and I'm sure it cost him more than $2500, not to mention the lost boating time.

PAkev

Thanks guys,<br /><br />The big sister (23ft) of this boat was just reviewed in the Aug. boating magazine and came in second against 4 other boats. One of the reasons is because it is considerably heavy compared to the others. This is another reason which compells me to ask questions about my power options.<br /><br />I believe the dealer may know there is an availibility issue with the new 150 which has caused them to prefer putting the 115 on. I don't plan on hooking on the boat until after ice out next spring so I have no problem waiting for a few months.<br /><br />Kevin