black oil

wayne 39

Cadet
i have a 120 evinrude and started it up in a tank to get it ready for the summer. oil in the foot is good. started up and ran great. smoked alot and left black oil in the tank. now the foot leaked alot of black oil out of it and the water pump didn't want to pump what did i do wrong? i got the pump to working but what was the black oil ? is the water pump going out?

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: black oil

how long sinse pump has ben changed . the oil gas mixture in a 2 cycle motor will leave a oil in the water if the foot isent giting water in the gear case you should be allright . the water pump may need changing . it is recomended to change atleast every 2 years . i dont . have run the same pump for over 5 years . but i never run it or even turn the motor without being in the water or muffs .if it sats several years it will git set and want pump good . papasage

wayne 39

Cadet

thanks i took a water hose and sprayed water in the water outlet and cleaned off the black oil off the foot and out of the prop. i then took it to the lake and backed it in the water it all worked great! could the oil in the water stopped the water pump from working it looked like burned oil in the water in the tank but after the lake it didnt do it again

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

...might have just been exhaust fumes/oil from regular combustion. Two strokes are pretty filthy when they run...especially in a small tank.<br /><br />Your pump may not have been getting water due to the wash action in that small tank. Muffs are a better way to run your two stroke.