Quickstart System Testing/Troubleshooting

FEFIII

Cadet
I have a 1989 Evinrude 200X that I bought used last year (450 hrs). It runs great at all speeds, with one intermittent exception.<br /><br />Sometimes at idle (a smooth 600 RPM), it suddenly kicks up to about 1000 – 1100 RPM. After several minutes or so it will sometimes drop back down, only to jump back up again at random intervals. <br /><br />I believe this problem is related to the Quickstart system, because it's exactly the same idle speed and pattern as when Quickstart is engaged. If it were an air leak in a fuel line, I think the problem would be continuous. <br /><br />I've searched a number of manuals, but haven't found any suggestions except to replace the power packs. It seems to me there might be some tests I could run before doing so. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Quickstart System Testing/Troubleshooting

Well there is FEF....you can pull a wire on one of the amphenol connectors and see if that fixes it. But I don't have a manual here at home to tell me which one it is. Maybe one of the other guys that sleep with their manuals will drop in and help. :D But there is a test for the problem. Sorry I can't offer anymore than hope.

FEFIII

Cadet

My understanding is that a sender in the thermostat grounds out the system (shuts off Quickstart) when the engine reaches operating temperature, so I was thinking it might be possible run a test by grounding that wire. However, I think there's also a timer involved, since Quickstart always engages for a short period of time after a start, even if the engine is warm.

clanton

Rear Admiral

The timer is in the power pack. You will have to replace the pack if timer is problem. The temp sensor on the port cylinder head switches Quick Start on and off. The wire color should be white/brown stripe. Sensor open, Quick Start on, Sensor closed to ground, Quick Start off. You can verify Quick Start is working with timing light. The timing advances about 6 degrees when on, and retards about 6 degrees when off. Thermostats need to be in and working. The sensor closes at about 106 F and turns off QS.