OMC Tach Question

dsnyder

Cadet
1985 Johnson 90 horse outboard.<br /><br />My tach is not working correctly, it seems ok at idle but on accelleration, it acts wacky. The number on the back is: 174206 There are settings on a dial that say 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.<br /><br />What would the proper setting be for my 90hp 4 cylinder?<br /><br />Thanks in advance.<br /><br />Dave

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: OMC Tach Question

What make tach is it?<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

VistaMan

Seaman

Mine went like that on my 120 v4. It was a bad voltage regulator.

dsnyder

Cadet

Type of gauge? It says OMC.<br /><br />As I look closer at it, it is set on 6.<br /><br />How do I tell if the voltage regulator is bad? That seems to make sense... Engine running or not, my volt gauge reads 12.<br /><br />Dave

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Dave.... The following may be of interest to you.<br /><br />(Testing Tachometer With Water Cooled Regulator/Rectifier)<br /> <br />A quick check is to simply plug in a another new tachometer as a piece of test equipment. If the new tach works properly and the old tach didn't, obviously the old tach is faulty.... but usually boaters don't carry around a spare tach (see below).<br /><br />A faulty rectifier wouldn't damage the tachometer, the tachometer simply wouldn't work. This is due to the fact that the tachometer operates off of the charging system and the rectifier converts AC voltage to DC voltage, enabling the charging system. A faulty rectifier disables the charging system, and the tachometer simply doesn't register.<br /><br />However.... those watercooled regulator/rectifiers that are used on the 35amp charging systems bring into play a different type problem, and as you've probably found out, they are really a pain to troubleshoot via the proper procedure. There's an easier way.<br /><br />The tachometer sending/receiving setup operates off of the gray wire at the tachometer. That same gray wire exists at the engine wiring harness which is connected to the engine electrical terminal strip. You'll see that there is a gray wire leading from the regulator/rectifier to that terminal strip, and that there is another gray wire attached to it. That other gray wire is the wire leading to the tachometer which is the one you're looking for.<br /><br />Remove that gray wire that leads to the tachometer. Now, find the two (2) yellow wires leading from the stator to that terminal strip. Hopefully one of them is either yellow/gray or is connected to a yellow/gray wire at the terminal strip. If so, connect the gray wire you removed previously to that yellow/gray terminal. Start the engine and check the tachometers operation, and if the tachometer operates as it should, then the regulator/rectifier is faulty and will require replacing. If the tachometer is still faulty, replace the tachometer.<br /><br />If neither of the yellow wires from the stator is yellow/gray, and neither is attached to a yellow/gray wire, then attach that gray tachometer wire to either yellow stator wire, then the other yellow wire, checking the tachometer operation on both connections.<br /><br />I've found this method to be a quick and efficent way offinding out which component is faulty.... the tachometer or the regulator/rectifier. It sounds drawn out but really only takes a very short time to run through. If the water cooled regulator/rectifier proves to be faulty, don't put off replacing it as they have been known to catch on fire with disasterous consequences.

85merc200

Petty Officer 3rd Class

why should his 4 cyl be set on 6, that make no scence at all. my tach is set on 6 i.e i have a 6 cykinder...

VistaMan

Seaman

The "6" indicates the number of poles in the alternator stator not the # of cylinders.

85merc200

Petty Officer 3rd Class

really ? what should my tach be set at then ?cause i recently installed one.<br /><br />1988 johnson 225 vro (disconnected)...thanks

splitbus

Recruit

Just bought this tacho (OMC - 174206), so now it must be fittied to my Johnson 70 hp 2 stroke 3 cylinder engine from 1976 with a 581551 power pack 3.

There are 4 wire on the tacho (purple, grey, blue and black)

Where should I connect them ?

I would prefer a drawing :)

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Here's a drawing for you splitbus, but the blue wire goes to your light switch - where you have it.

Attachments

• Tach Wiring Ignition Switch.JPG
    Tach Wiring Ignition Switch.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 4

splitbus

Recruit

Sorry, just thought that it was better to continue a thread instead of starting a new thread with the same question

Do you have the drawing in a better solution, sorry :)

Can't see where the grey wire goes and where to connect the purple

BTW Thanks for a quick answer :)

offshore100

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry, just thought that it was better to continue a thread instead of starting a new thread with the same question

:)

have to agree with you on that splitbus, makes for a more tidy package, especially since the thread's apparently been inactive since 2004.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

your tach has wires attached? is there a three-prong plug on the end? if so you might have the control box with the socket that accepts that plug - it'd be below the keyswitch and the throttle tension control knob, covered by a round rubber cover.

The gray leads to the big red wiring harness plug and from there to the terminal strip on the starboard side of the engine.

The purple connects to the "A" post on the keyswitch.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

:)The diagram says "Tach Lead Gray" . It is folded and taped inside the 1970's controls. The control in 1976 did not have a plug for the tachometer, but it did have the wiring in the harness.

Lodgepole

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gray is tach lead (gives pulses/revolution). Blue is for light in tach (connect to navigation light switch). Black is gnd. Purple is hot or power when engine is running. You can find the purple, gray and black in the control box or connect to the colors on the terminal strip on right rear of engine block. Just hooked up OMC tach on my 78 Johnson 70. Set dial on back of tach to 6.