clutch dog problem

boso

Cadet
Hi guys, I have a problem with my Evinrude Fastwin 18hp (1968). It's jumping out of gear on higher rpm.<br />I disassambled the gear case and saw that the bushing is worn out so the shaft wasn´t centered.<br />The clutch dog is worn out a little also.<br />I replaced the bushing and I plan to grind clutch dog a little. <br />What do you think about grinding the teeth of a clutch dog, will that help at all?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: clutch dog problem

I wouldn't grind the dog, Boso.<br /><br />It is probably "case hardened", which gives a very hard surface to the part but leaves the core softer and less brittle. Grinding would almost certainly expose softer steel which would wear very quickly.<br /><br />Get the shaft bearings replaced, centering and stabilizing the gears and dog. Unless the "teeth" of the dog are now slopes you should be okay.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Tinkerer2

Seaman
Re: clutch dog problem

JB is an expert and I'm not, so I'm reluctant to offer a different opinion. But for once I will.<br /><br />I had a similar problem with my 1967 V4 60HP.<br /><br />I had the clutch dog and female parts of forward gear recut by an engineer with a die cutter. I had him undercut a fraction so they wouldn't slip and will take a while to wear back.<br /><br />The engineer was careful to avoid going through the case hardening. Well, he said he was. Like I'd know!<br /><br />Anyway, it goes fine now. As for the life of the parts, who knows? Could be next week, could be twenty years, just like all the other parts on an outboard that only give up when they can cause the maximum fear and effort miles from safety.<br /><br />At least my motor was running fine when the bloke with the new $7,000 I/O leg that blew up was towed in a few weeks back, so how was he better off ?