12th breakdown of 2003 Evinrude Fichts

AmberLady

Cadet
I purchased 2 new 225 HP Evinrude Ficht motors last February 2003, making them 1 year old. During that one year period, one or the other of the motors has broken down for a total of 12 times. The problems have ranged from motors not charging the batteries, computerized components in the motors going bad, motors not starting, and having to replace wiring harnesses, to name a few. As soon as one problem seems to get fixed, another problem arises. It is currently back at the local dealer broke down again. <br />I am wondering if there are any other owners of these motors that are experiencing similar problems with new Bombardier manufactured Evinrudes?

fishunter15

Cadet
Re: 12th breakdown of 2003 Evinrude Fichts

I have never had similar problems nor do I have this motor. But I know if you have the same problem a certain amount of times and it doesn't seem to be fixing it, the manufacturer is obligated to purchase the motor back from you or give you a new one. Considering you have had so many problems w/ a brand new motor I would look into it. Because if it keeps happening out of warranty your in trouble. Just an idea....If you don't like it ignore me :D

AmberLady

Cadet

I have already spoken to the manufacturer and they have said in no uncertain terms that they will not replace them. They said these are warranty issues and they will continue to fix them. However, doesn't do much for my sense of security when I am normally fishing 30 to 60 miles offshore.<br />It seems that they would want these motors back to do some diagnostic testing on their product.

BRIAN03

Petty Officer 1st Class

We service Ficht engines and find the 225 fails more than an other outboard. We have customers that run twin 225 Fichts and the break an engine every time out. One customer had an engine failure every time he took his boat out last season. MMC,voltage regulators,injectors,spark plugs,lower units.

Fly Rod

Commander

Hello Amberlady :) <br />Sorry to hear about your problems. Does sound like you do have a problem.If you feel that you aren't getting any satisfaction from the shop demand that you want to talk to a represenitive of Bombardier. <br />I purchased a 2003 225hp back in April.<br />So far with about 120 hrs. the only problem that I have had is fouled plugs. I do allot of trolling and should have had them changed earlier.

D

DJ

AmberLAdy,<br /><br />Sorry to heare about your woes. <br /><br />You must remember that the marine industry is NOT like the automotive industry. There are no lemon laws, etc. Typically, auto makers buy back vehicles solely for customer satisfaction purposes, not so in the marine industry.<br /><br />My advice is to remain calm, and speak in a professional manner with the Bombardier folks. I know you want to yell, it will do you NO good.<br /><br />Just be persistant. We'll be watching to see how this plays out. This board (iboats) is highly respected in the marine industry. Don't feel afraid to mention it.

Walker

Captain

Amberlady, There may not be a Lemon law that applies to outboards, and then again there may be one. There are however, many consumer protection laws and I suggest you keep every receipt and document everything you are told, in person or on the phone, by date, time, and who told you and take all that stuff to an attorney. Lawyers can get a lot more satisfaction from dealers and manufacturers than you can.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Amber Lady,<br />Post the last 6 digits of the serial numbers and I'll check on the motor's histories. Many times a new poster badmouths a product then never posts again or any followup. By giving the partial serial numbers, we can check credibility and try to help you.<br /><br />The Bombardier built motors since 2002 have been almost bulletproof and have a great reputation for dependability.<br /><br />What kind of boat are they mounted on?

Fly Rod

Commander

Brian03<br />Are you talking about the 2003- 225hp ficht engines? Or are you talking about the earlier models before Bombardier took over??? They are suppose to have a state of the art manafacturing plant and top notch quality control.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> amberlady and others<br /> layers are a dead last resort.<br /> we had a guy whose lawyer called the same day I told him his power head was poof. not only did our dealership get a call but so did the yammi consumer line. we were taken out of the loop and the legal depts got to play and finally we got autorization to perform warrenty. it all took about 8 months to get a 3 week job done. you cannot sue a major corperation just cause your mad. they have lawyers on the payroll that wont mind retireing on your case, they get paid the same.<br /> good luck and keep posting

Walker

Captain

So true Rodbolt, but many time just a letter from a lawyer will get a company to move more than complaints and gripes from a consumer.

BRIAN03

Petty Officer 1st Class

Put some hours on them and you will see. We have customers that can 400 to 500 hours on a season. Most guys here who fish repower every two year.They will put 1000 hours in two seasons. All you have to do is read all the posts on them. There far from bullet proof sometimes emotion over rides reality. Seahorse try to convince 12 times a year thats bullet proof. It sounds like normal here. If you fixxed the electrial problems and there weak gear cases they might have a chance of being bullet proof. I work on these every day and call them the way I see them.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ahoy, Amberlady.<br /><br />Your experience does not fit with the reputation that the Bombardier-built engines have earned. It does fit with the reputation that the OMC-built engines of '99 to end of production, sadly, earned.<br /><br />Like Seahorse, I am wondering if you got a pair of "NOS" (new, old stock) OMC-built engines rather than engines built and QC-ed by Bombardier.<br /><br />Please post model and serial numbers so we know who built those engines, when, and Seahorse can look up a history on each.<br /><br />I believe that Bombardier is an ethical company that will do what is required to eventually have a happy customer.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Fly Rod

Commander

JB<br /> are you saying that a new 2003 bombardier could actually be an{NOS}Old omc parts !!! I thought they did away with them and started from scrath.<br />When I bought the 2003 I was under the asumption that I was purchasing something greatly improved. With better improved parts. <br />And could the powerhead be a 2000-2002 in a 2003 stamped casing????? :confused: <br />Which also means we could be back to square one !!!!

AmberLady

Cadet

Wow, thanks for all your responses and feedback. Sorry I can't get online as quickly as I would like but will try to answer everyone in a somewhat orderly manner. Will also look for the serial # on the documentation copies of 9 of the 12 incidences that I have in my office or go by the dealer to get it off the motors.<br />For those wondering, I have owned boats for over 30 years and I have always had Johnsons (mostly) and Evinrudes. <br />Anyway, I need to get to work but will reply to most of you as soon as I can get back to the computer.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) :) Welcome aboard Amberlady ;) :cool:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Fly Rod.<br /><br />No. I am not saying that Bombardier would offer engines built by OMC as new, 2003 models built by Bombardier.<br /><br />But: Even in 2003, many dealers offered "new" left over 2000 and 2001 OMC-built engines at major discounts and with a Bombardier warranty. It is conceivable that such an offer was misunderstood or misrepresented. That is why I want the model numbers and Seahorse wants model and serial numbers.<br /><br />Seahorse can track an engine by serial number from its sale to the present, reporting every visit to a dealer. . . what was the complaint, what was done and why. That information would be a big help in offering advice to AmberLady.

Fly Rod

Commander

JB<br /> :) :) Thanks very much for the information ;) :cool:

AmberLady

Cadet

I, like Fly Rod, bought the two new Evinrude Fichts because they were highly recommended by the dealer amd with the motors now being manufactured by Bombardier, I would be guaranteed a product that worked.<br />Also, I have to add, that I also purchased a 25 hp Johnson for my sound skiff which was also manufactured by Bombardier. That too, broke down several times with the dealer eventually having to re-work the exhaust system. This motor is not used much, probably I only have about 50 - 60 hours on it. <br />Of course, the Johnson isn't as big a deal as the two motors that cost close to $30,000 but it does make me wonder. And to add to this dilemma, my first mate (wife) says she won't go back out to the stream worrying about these motors and wondering when they will quit again. <br /><br />Seahorse, thanks for your offer to research the motors. And, just as an FYI, the first incidences were not documented by the mechanic because he felt that it was battery failure when in fact, it was eventually ascertained that the motors were not charging properly with the two batteries that were in place. <br /><br />The motors are mounted on a 25 foot Hydra Sport cuddy cabin which had two 225 Johnson Ocean Pro's and then repowered to the new Evinrudes. The 6 digits on the serial numbers and model # are as follows: 015834 and the model number is E225FCXST and 986668 and model is E225FPXST. Also, the hours on the motors are about 160, and considering that the boat has had to go back up to dealer 28 miles RT and then tested up and down the waterway, the actual fishing mileage is fairly low.<br /><br />Again, thanks for the advice you are willing to impart and maybe soon I can get excited about "red skies at night".

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

By any chance are there wing nuts on the batteries holding the cables?