Won't start

Ruffis

Cadet
I have a 1978 Johnson 115. I sent it off to the mechanic because after it setting for 5-6 months it would not start. After a couple of days the mechanic called and said the boat was done. He stated that he could not find a problem with it and it started fine for him every time. He also checked everything out and said that everything is o.k. (I have had my boat worked on several times by this guy and he does excellant work). The next day we got ready to go out fishing and could not get the boat to start.We tried everything but it would not even act like it wanted to start. Called the mechanic back and he told us to bring it back to him. What could be the problem??? Again I have total faith in my mechanic but its just driving me nuts not knowing why it wont start.Thanks.

reeldutch

Lieutenant
Re: Won't start

check the fuse?<br />neutral kill switch?<br />lanyard?<br />batery switch?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Morning Ruffis....<br /><br />First thing I gotta ask, is yer' battery up to par? Real good thread on this a couple days ago. Check it out.<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=019504 <br /><br />Next, the start procedure.<br /><br />Primer bulb pumped up firm. Raise cold start lever up as far as it will go. Turn key to on and push in to choke. Turn key to start.<br /><br />This about right?

Ruffis

Cadet

I have tried all of this. Battery was freshly charhed and spun the flywheel like it is suppose.I have owned this boat for a year and a half and have started it hundreds of times. Thats why i am so confused on it not starting....Thanks for your reply's

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Try a new primer bulb. OMC if you can. They tend to go bad. Are you getting spark? If so, it's a fuel problem. Built in tank? Try a portable with new bulb.

Reelly

Cadet

Had a 84 115 do the same thing. Had it for years never had a problem starting it. Sold it and the day we were taking the new owners for a ride it would not start. Get it back home it would start. Found bad key switch.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

That's why I asked if he was getting spark. Need to know that first...

Ruffis

Cadet

Plenty of spark..the primer bulb seems to be fine. It hardens up when it is suppose to, also just replaced it last year (fuel line and bulb). Thanks for all your help.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Spray a little pre-mix into the carbs and see if it fires.

Ruffis

Cadet

I have tried that along with starting fluid. She will than spin and spin but she will not even act like she wants to start(not even with starting fluid) I will pull the plugs to check for spark and there is plenty of spark.