My first outboard

I was given a Johnson 6 hp with the parts number cd-25R . The lower unit is all frozen up. I think it has been sitting in salt water for a while. The top part seems in great condition almost like new. Is there a product that will penetrate and defreeze it. The prop does not turn at all. Is this something I can fix myself or is this something I should have a shop take care of. Thanks for your suggestions.<br />David

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: My first outboard

Hello Dave....welcome to iboats....<br /><br />The 6 horse is a 1968 vintage. Real good little kicker engines.<br /><br />No product I know of that is a miricle (sp) cure for forzen gears. Best thing is to drop the lower unit, disassemble and repair/replace as needed. If the whole gear case is to far gone, maybe a replace ment is in order....last resort of course.<br /><br />One good thing, the gear cases are easy to work on. A good service manual would also be of benifit for the project. The below link will take you to a site where reprints of the original OEM manuals are available.<br /><br /> http://www.kencook.com/b/mp1.htm <br /><br />Keep us posted and don't hesitate to ask any questions.