'85 johnson 50hp power tilt won't hold position

feed_me57

Cadet
i have a '85 model 50 hp johnno power trim/tilt model. (the one with the ram on each side of the motor). when i tilt it right up or to any position and leave it, it comes down very slowly (you cant see it moving) but if you walk away for 30 mins after tilting it right up and come back again it has moved halfway down. the tilt system functions normally when you operate the up/down switch. could this be a problem with valves or a lack of hydraulic fluid? also when it is in the water and there is a small oil slick coming from the area of the port ram. (the bottom of the rams and the bottom of the tilt motor are submerged when at rest and moving slowly). any help would be appreciated

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '85 johnson 50hp power tilt won't hold position

Moving to Johnson Outboard Troubles.

phatmanmike

Captain

i have that same setup on my 1980 50 hp eveinrude... i have the same problem also, just not as severe.. youre leaking fluid, thats what the oil slick is. ive never rebuilt tilt/trim stuff...but these crazy old sea dogs on here could walk ya through it. <br />have you checked it in your driveway to see where its coming from or wich side<br /><br />have you check all the fittings to ensure they are tight<br /><br />is your rubber hydro hose all cracked and old<br /><br />if you ever get a new setup and wanna sell me your old one, im all ears :) and good luck

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hey Jeremy....first thing to do is find out where the leak is. Since the engine slowly lowers and you notice an oil slick around the cylinders, I would think it's probably in the hydraulic line between the cylinders. I got the same set up on my '84 50hp Johnny.<br /><br />What to do is raise the engine all the way up in the drive way at home and start looking for drips. It may be in one of the flair connections to the cylinders or at the pump itself. Find the leak and maybe we can help figure out what to do about it. OH and if it is a flair fitting, you might try and tighten it up a little being careful not to overtighten.<br /><br />Keep us posted. Thanks.

feed_me57

Cadet

thanks for the advice, OBJ<br /><br />i have a feeling the leak is in the connection to the port ram. could it be as simple as tightening the nuts or do need to open it up and replace the o-ring. would it hurt to use the boat this weekend as i cant get it to a mechanic till next week?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Yes it could be just a lose connection. If the piston o-ring was leaking through, you probably would not see the oil leaking out. Or...it could be a combination of both. If you can see the leak though, that, most likely, is your problem. You can use the rig. Won't hurt. Just make sure the TNT fluid is topped off. You don't want to get any water into the TNT system.

Jeremy, I have just noticed this post.<br /><br />I amd from QLD living in Indo but was raised in WA actually. I have precisely the same problem on my 1985 40hp Evinrude and have the same setup as you with the rams and sort of big butterfly arrangement that straddles the leg I presume?<br /><br />My mechanic said it was a problem with seals and rams etc and that parts and labour would end up costing more to fix than the motor is worth? He did some temp repairs that improved it it a lot but not completely?<br /><br />How did you get on with your problem in the end? I would be keen to compare notes to see if I can do anything further to improve mine><br /><br />Mike

Hooty

Rear Admiral

See, ya'll are talking just about the tilt, not the trim. It could be something as simple as the manual relief leaking by or the piston o-ring OBJ was speaking of. I can't think of a situation where you would tilt the engine up and leave it for any lenght of time. If it was the trim leaking down, I could understand the concern.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

feed_me57

Cadet

the connection that is leaking is in a tight spot.. i cant get a spanner in there unless i take the motor off which i dont have the equipment to do. however its going to the mechanic this week. is the piston o-ring the one at the top of the cylinder where you see the silver shaft of the ram? i havent found oil in that area. i cant under stand how parts and labour would cost more than the value of the motor to repair such a minor malfunction. the motor itslef is worth at least AUS$2000.