converting a manual to an electric lower unit

bdubious

Cadet
Kinda of new to the boat biz, Was curious how difficult it is to convert a 1969 40 HP Johnson manual shift lower unit to an electric one. Got a great deal on the electric and need some input on the steps before proceeding. I got the unit, with new water pump, and controls for 50 bux. Was told I need to rewire the shifting solenoids before installation. Thanks for any help.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: converting a manual to an electric lower unit

I do not know how hard it is to do the conversion,but most people I know would much rather go from electric to manual, because manual is quite a bit more fool proof and less can go wrong with it.<br />Mops.

D

DJ

Ditto rolmops!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

The electric shift was a good idea....but....the early models...well....look at it this way:<br /><br />Reverse shift coil....318.00..you'll have to look around for a forward coil if ya' need one.<br /><br />Reverse clutch.....252.00<br /><br />Clutch spring (1)....307.00 (these have a tendency to break)and you have two to worry about.<br /><br />Don't think an electric shift is the way to go on the 40hp. Stay with the manual shift.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I was about to third the motion until I got to thinking (yes, thats got me in trouble before) about re-wiring the "solenoids". A 40 electric has electric coils not solenoids. A lower with solenoids is a different animal.<br /><br />Are we sure we got the right lower?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Yep...right lower unit. Got to thinking about it my self and looked it up. Coils in the lower unit. Bummer setup when it breaks.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Definitely avoid the electric shifter. If it works, they work fine. When it doesn't work, you better either have deep pockets and know a mechanic who will actually work on it, or have deep pockets and the knowledge to do it yourself.<br /><br />There's lots of the standard mechanical shift units out there - lots of different years will fit. Keep looking....<br />- Scott

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

You would also have that electric shift cable to deal with where it feeds through the exhaust housing. You may have to change that also. That cable also effects a seal against exhaust gases so you can't just run through the shift lever hole.

phatmanmike

Captain

stay away from the electric shift.. ive owned two(hint: past tense) theres a reason omc only made 'em for such a short time.... stay with manual!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

OK...let me open a can a' worms. Let's look at the positive side of electric shifts at least in the later models that had solenoids to operate the shift pump. Now IMHO, these weren't that bad a' rig. Shift by wire. You got a positive shift with no grinding which equaled to gear and clutch dog longevity. All ya' had to do was give it decent care just like today's lower units. Yeah, the shift wire harness was a pain to pull out and in. But so is getting that darn bolt in the shift rod yoke under the bottom carb. Just my opinion.....NEXT!!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The straight electric shift, to me anyway, was always a pain and very expensive to fix. And they seemed to need attention quite regularly.<br /><br />To me the solenoid equipped (hydro-electric) shift was a very simple design and easy to work on.<br /><br />Obviously the mechanical shift (positive neutral) design is, in theory anyway, the safest and least likely to leave a boater stranded.

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

Okay, I'm bringing this string back to the top with a twist. Has anyone here converted a mid-sixties 40HP electric shift to manual shift? What would it take to bolt up a standard lower unit to my 1963 SuperSeahorse Electramatic? She's shifting fine now and I like it a lot but I really don't want to open it up ever again (I built one good electric LU out of three). I'm tempted to put all my electramatic "spare parts" on eBay and pick up a manual lower unit as a spare instead. Enjoy the electramatic lower I have but if (when) something breaks I'd convert to manual. Feasible plan?

Paul Moir

Admiral

It's not really that easy. You need an inner midsection from the manual shift. Or perhaps just the shift rod linkage & shaft, if the spot for it is bored out on yours. And the other thing you need to replace is the front half of the lower cowling cover. The part with the handle on it.<br /><br />Since you would need to fit that, you would have to disassemble the entire steering/tilt system, and remove the engine. If your outboard is relatively corrosion free, that may not be too hard. Around here, you can guarantee you'll break a pile of bolts doing that.<br /><br />Really, what would be ideal is to find a dead manual shift, and use it to supply the parts. Rest go to the recycler or ebay. :)

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks, Paul. I'll watch for a manual shift with a seized powerhead. My outboard's real clean and I have confidence I did the lower unit A1 but that electric design is just an Achille's heel. A coil or spring's gonna go out on me sooner or later and then what? Hopefully I can find a good manual shift donor and put it in a corner to gather cobwebs. At least I'll sleep at night knowing I've got a plan that doesn't involve scaring up $300 parts and working on that nightmare "breachloader" gearcase again.

RichieUK

Cadet

Having experienced the problems complicated modern cars have, surely putting electrics in a tight space and running in a marine ennvironment is asking for trouble... <br /><br />Best of luck!

DHPMARINE

Captain

Actually,if you have either gearcase (electric or manual) stick with it if it's running good.Trying to change is $$$$.Also if you switch to a 1969 40 hp manual,and it blows ....... Three gears and a clutch dog tip the scale @ $850.00.If you can find these parts.Less than electric shift,but how much can you "invest" in a 37 year old motor?<br /><br />DHP

Paul Moir

Admiral

I agree, but why would you ever buy that when you can pick up an ebay lower unit for $25-50? And thanks, I'll take my 40 year old engine over a throwaway modern one. :p

macojoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a eletric shift once, only once!!<br /><br />When they lose power they are stuck in forward gear!! You might not even know it till you get to the dock like myself.<br />I was coming to the dock and I was going kind of fast, so I put in reverse and was still going forward and dock was coming fast! I pushed the throttle hard reverse and it just floored it forward, I slamed the docjk so hard I thought i was sinking, I had my kids and wife get out fast!!<br /><br />No hole but what a huge crack!! Was a pretty good $$$ repair!<br />Got rid of the motor and have never looked back!<br /><br />I vote don't do it~~

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

I got what looks like a real nice backup on eBay for decent money. I pick it up today:<br /> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=R40&satitle=4628066651&fvi=1&item=4628066651 <br /><br />Plus I bought another electric shift from the same place:<br /> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=R40&satitle=4625128640&fvi=1&item=4625128640 <br /><br />I am an addict! Outboard count is now up to three Bigtwins, three 18-20-25's, two 4's, two 3's, and a 7HP "Eska" my BIL gave me. The "Eska" doesn't really count as an "outboard" though. Shop manuals and the iBoats forums keep us all happy (except, perhaps, for The Wife).