1971 Evinrude 125hp - Steering!!

Doug Mc

Cadet
Hi All,<br />Hope this finds you all well.<br /><br />Wondering if you can help.<br /><br />Have the above motor which seems difficult to steer when at mid to full throttle.<br /><br />Have checked cables etc all seem fine is this normal for this age motor.<br /><br />Is there some way the steering can be made easier??<br /><br />Thanks again great forums

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1971 Evinrude 125hp - Steering!!

DD....if yer talkin' torquing to the right, this can be pretty much canceled out by adjusting the trim tab. Losen the trim tab bolt and turn the tab a little toward the way the boat wants to turn at high end. Do this a little at a time until the torque is counter balanced by the trim tab. Course...this all depends on if this is what yer talkin' about.<br /><br />Keep us posted.

Doug Mc

Cadet

Thanks OBJ<br /><br />What I was trying to say was that the steering seems heavy when underway (mid to full throttle).<br /><br />If I’m stopped the steering seems fine and light.<br /><br />Is this normal??

Doug Mc

Cadet

Thanks OBJ<br />What I was trying to say was that the steering seems heavy when underway mid to full throttle.<br /><br />If I’m stopped the steering seems fine and light.<br /><br />Is this normal??

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Well yea it's going to get a little heavy under load. Your trying to direct a bunch of thrust that wants to stay in a straight line and turn the midsection broadside to the flow of water which turns the boat. Don't know all the physics behind it but that pretty much is why.<br /><br />Now if you have to get up on the wheel with both feet and hands to move it, now ya' got a problem. <br /><br />Don't hesitate to post any other questions ya' might have. Good Luck!

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Engine height on the transom, and props can also effect steering torgue. In 1971 the steering cable did not anchor through the tilt tube, but had to be anchoed to the transom. Some of these set-ups were kind of flimzy compared to todays set-ups.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Ledgefinder: I missed your meaning here.

ledgefinder

Ensign

How tough is it to steer the 125 at full throttle? If you have to use two hands, that's NOT normal, & possibly dangerous. <br /><br />IMHO, the steering will be a LITTLE heavier at full throttle than at idle, but you should still be able to steer without straining. Normally, a smaller person should be able to steer it with one hand. <br /><br />The boat could be dangerous (flip over) if the steering breaks at high throttle. A 125hp going suddenly to full rudder would give an 'interesting' ride, anyway.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I think that's what DDMC is alluding to ledgefinder. He didn't say he had to use two hands. He did say the steering was fine with the engine not running but was a little heavy under load, which is normal.