power tilt and trim

oilman321

Cadet
can someone please explain the sequence of ram movements on a tilt and trim system to me as im not sure mine is correct ive read the manual and am none the wiser.<br />Mine does this... when engine fully raised and i lower it the two small trim rams go fully in first then the main tilt ram goes in. I would have thought the tilt ram should be the first to move putting the engine down first them trimming it using the trim rams...or am I talking out of my hat.. :confused:

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: power tilt and trim

No. you've got it right. The trim rams(Small) pull in first, allowing the engine to lower. Then the tilt rams pull down. When it goes up, the small trim rams push up first and the the tilt rams kick in.

oilman321

Cadet

The engine is a johnson 60 hp vro 1988<br />Im still confused about this...you say the small rams go in first allowing the engine to lower...on mine the small rams go in first but the engine doesnt start to lower untill the small rams are all the way in (the engine is still fully up ) and then the big ram goes in and the engine lowers....it raises as you say with no problems...when lowering and the small rams have gone in but the big ram is still out holding the engine up, I can push the engine down by hand....Is this correct or am I as thick as I must seem...thanks for the help

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> sounds like youre tilt tube is to tight or starting to corrode, losen the 1 1/4 nut on the stbd side about 1/2 a turn and see if it now works correctly. it can be dangerous to fingers like it is because once the motor does start going down you cant stop it until it hits the pins. its quite common on jonny rudes to do this. if the motor cant fall by gravity then the trim rams must retract then the tilt ram will actually pull the engine down. sometimes it will actually start freefalling and the trim pins will come out again. all is normal with the unit its another subsystem that got neglected.,<br /> good luck and keep posting

oilman321

Cadet

Thanks for the excellent advice have put it into practice and the problem is now solved...is it a big job to strip the tilt tube to check for corrosion ..cheers HARRY