Mercury 75hp outboard

mjg

Cadet
i recently bought this engine. i think its year of manufacture is around the mid-eighties. the engine serial no. is 871-8337. i have an idea that this is for a Mariner. My question is, at the front of the leg (nearest to transom) there is a small rubber tube sticking out about 2/3rds down the leg. this tube is curled up and doesnt attach to anything, if anyone has any ideas what it is for this would be greatly appreciated. many thanks. martin.

Mod2

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercury 75hp outboard

mjg....Am closing the second post on the same topic. If you need to get your post back to the top, just send your self and answer. Thanks.<br /><br />By the way, that rubber tube is your speedometer pick up.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Serial doesn't seem to be correct.<br /><br />Can you get us a picture? What color is the motor (gray or black)?

mjg

Cadet

the engine and leg colour is black. the cover for the engine has a red trim around it. thankyou for your quick response to the rubber tube

Mikael-Block

Seaman

What the f... you have taken my engine...<br />Did you sneak down to my harbor .... ?<br /><br />This is very strange...<br />I've got a Marina with the excact same se. no.<br />It is a marina 75 hp from 1984.<br /><br />By the way, the tube is for a Speedometer...works by the pressure from the water..<br /><br /> http://www.block.subnet.dk/43451.htm <br /><br />Mikael<br />Denmark

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

No doubt - the Mercury is a Mercury and the Mariner in Næstved is a Mariner.<br /><br />I'll check up on the year on that Merc.

mjg

Cadet

Strangely it seems maybe both our engines have the same no. , not quite sure how its happened. I bought this engine about 6 weeks ago and im presuming that somehow in the past a marina head may have been put on our engine. If its not that then im not sure, ive tried to find the date of manufacture for our engine and nobody seems to recognise that serial no. being a mercury. The engine runs ok so im not to worried about it but ive not been over to Denmark and nicked yours. My other question maybe you could answer is about the 2 stroke oil, where do you add yours, is it directly into the petrol tank or have you a seperate tank on your engine.<br /> Many Thanks.<br /> Martin.

Mikael-Block

Seaman

Hi all...<br /><br />Mine is a Marina, I think it is made in Belgium.<br /><br />It is from 1984. <br /><br />Mikael Block<br /><br />And I still got it here in Denmark..

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

A part number could be common. The serial no. from the bracket should be unique.<br /><br />The motor-pic doesn't work, but from one of the boat pics it looks as if the colored line is brown?<br /><br />Nevertheless I can't seem to find it. It is the old design with 'fins' on the rear edge which assumes it is pre '80, at least.

DJG

Recruit

Hi,<br /><br />Thanks for your help with trying to determine the age of our engine.<br /><br />We have taken some more photos of the engine which we have uploaded to <br /> http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/djg77_uk <br /><br />We have also had a good around the engine and found the following number. Its a bit difficult to work out the second digit however it could be one of the following :-<br /><br />9026454<br />9626454<br />9826454<br />9C26464<br /><br />Thanks<br />Dan.

Mikael-Block

Seaman

Hey DJG.<br />Your engine locks very alike mine, except the fuelpump....<br />Mine is a 1984 Marina.<br /><br />Mikael

Mikael-Block

Seaman

Sorry <br /><br />One more.. Yours have oilinjection ?.<br />Mine dosn't ... to bad...<br /><br />Mikael