lower unit for 88 special 1996

swagg

Recruit
Just bought this motor a couple of months ago used and have not changed the lower unit gear lube yet. Not sure if there is anything special about it. Bought a kit at Walmart, which says that I drain the oil from the lower plug and then pump the new oil back into the lower plug hole until the oil comes out of the upper vent oil. If this is correct does anybody know approximately how many quarts of oil I will need to fill the lower unit up. I am a new boat owner and not sure if this is correct this is probably really basic yearly maintenance but just want to make sure I am doing the right thing. Thanks for any help.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: lower unit for 88 special 1996

Hey swagg....<br /><br />The bottle basics are correct. Let the engine set straight up and down for several minutes before cracking the lower drain plug. This would let any water that may be in the lower unit go to the bottom.<br /><br />Crack the lower drain plug and screw out just enough to see what's coming out. A few drops of water is ok. If you get a steady stream...that's not OK. Also inspect the drained oil for metal slivers or bright sparklers. This would indicate possible gear damage.<br /><br />Let the lower unit drain completely before refilling.<br /><br />Keep us posted as to what you find and if you have anymore questions.<br /><br />By the way...that's a good engine you got there.

swagg

Recruit

Changed out the lower unit oil this morning, very simple. Oil was very black and had a strong odor, didn't see any water in the oil or any metal flakes on the end of the drain nuts. Thanks for the help. I did have some black looking oil leaking around the hub/prop after idling for a long time with muffs. Looked at some old questions and found this to be normal really worried about this being a sign of a bad seal, didn't want to have fix anything else. Well your right this has been a great motor.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Don't let the gear lube get like that Swagg. That stuff been in there a loooooong time.<br /><br />Might think about a decarb if your seeing a lot of that black stuff coming from the hub. Could mean a lot of carbon build up. Decarb will help.<br /><br />Good Luck....don't be a stranger around here. Lotsa' good people and help.