1997 150 ocean Pro, fuel delivery warning

dfish77777

Cadet
Hi All,<br /> This is the best forum going, people would pay for the advise given here. I bought a Striper with the above mentioned engine, first time in the water check engine warning. So I ordered a new rancor fuel/water seperator filter, inlet screen at the motor is new. Changed the rancor unit hoping it was a restriction, ran the motor for @ 20 min on the muffs, no problem. Shut off restart, tilt, etc. All of a sudden, the alarm goes off, dash lights up. I squeezed the primer a couple times, and after a minute the light went out(primer bulb was completely soft but firmed up with a couple squeezes). I pulled the vent line at the tank, it was okay, dinner tastes like gas now though :eek: . I have an 85 gallon plastic tank, is there typically a screen on the pick up in the tank and could that be giving me trouble taht I should check. Is there an anti-siphon valve and where would I find it, what does it look like? Could the primer bulb be giving the problem, is there a valve in the primer valve that may be sticking? I'm trying to eliminate everything before I buy a new VRO unit. I ran the boat squeezing the primer bulb while on the water first time out and engine RPM didn't seem to matter, at idle-3000rpm seemed to get same type of results, and engine seemed to run really good too.<br /><br /> Many thanks to all who respond to this frustrated mariner,<br /> Don T :confused:

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: 1997 150 ocean Pro, fuel delivery warning

The check engine lite and alarm is for excessive vacuum in the fuel system, not the VRO, it's doing its job trying to "suck" fuel thru a restriction.<br /><br />Most common culprits are the fuel pickup in the tank, plugged screens, sticking anti-siphon valve, bad primer bulb, delaminating fuel hose, and kinks or tight bends in the fuel line.<br /><br />The factory service manual shows how to check for restrictions using a vacuum gauge attached to the fuel inlet fitting of the fuel pump. It also shows how to check the vacuum swtich on the motor for proper operation.

dfish77777

Cadet

I think I've found it :) , I took apart the fuel line, found the anti-siphon valve. Cleaned it up, seemed to work very well. Before I put it back I attached a long clear hose to the tank and sucked fuel up into it, very easy and full flow. Start it up, and instant alarm, not going off no matter what I did with the fuel squeeze bulb. So I took the silencer off and started looking things over. I noted the hose from the sensor goes to the vapor thingy :D , then to the engine and the silencer. The hose into the engine seemed kinked. I unkinked and started it up w/out the silencer, no problems, I rekinked and instant alarm, unkink, alarm cleared itself. Put the silencer back on and all seems okay, may have been as simple as a tiny restricted hose. I'll have to buy some more of that and reroute it. Seahorse, thanks for all tour help. I have one more I'm posting right after this.<br /> Don T, Happy Mariner :cool:

mattttt25

Commander

don, same engine in a '98, same problem for a year now. haven't been able to find the culprit. guess i'm back to looking at fuel lines. pls let me know if your problem comes back (i hope it doesn't). i was thinking of replacing the sensor, if i can find it and a replacement.