Black Burnt GBox oil with Metal Fragments

Vtwin

Cadet
On draining Gbox found smelly black oil with a few metal fragments attached to magnetic drain plug. Gbox/motor is running fine. Have only just purchased 1981 3cycl Johnson. Should I simply refill or should I flush first with some type of flushing oil. Thanks!!

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: Black Burnt GBox oil with Metal Fragments

The smelly oil is normal especially if someone use a Hypoid 90 type of lube.<br /><br />You should see a "fuzz" on the drain plug magnets in a normal situation. If there are chips, slivers, or chunks, then it's time to take it apart for an inspection.

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: Black Burnt GBox oil with Metal Fragments

Chances are you are ok as long as there are no (chunks), I think it was just neglected! There is NO way to get the black off of everything but it would be a good idea to refill with regular marine gear lube and take it for a run or run it in gear for about 30 Minutes on muffs then drain it and fill with a high quality Synthetic gear lube! Synthetics will protect better than conventional if moisture happens to get where it dosent belong! Amsoil comes to mind as the best, but there are others out there! Drain at the end of the season and refill with same! Always use new fiber washers on the vent and fill plugs!