ficht or not a ficht

paulgs

Cadet
I'm looking at a boat and motor combo. The engine is a 1998 200 evinrude. I've been told by the seller that it is a carbureted engine and not a ficht. I thought that evinrude only made ficht during this period. Could it be a carb? If it is a carb what is the opinion of this engine? I've read many comments on this board that talked negatively about the 98 era evinrudes. The commentary was that not only were the ficht engines problematic but that quality control was poor as well. The ficht were blowing powerheads. Wouldn't they have the same powerheads as the ficht and therefore, some of the same problems? Please comment. Also, if this isn't a ficht, what things do I need to look out for? What type of performance? What type of care? Thanks.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: ficht or not a ficht

The 200's were not ficht engines. No problems with them. Not to worry!! Good Motor! It is carburated...

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: ficht or not a ficht

Paul, most of the early Ficht problems were with the 150 and 175hp's anyway. But this motor is a very good motor not to worry, just make sure it has been well maintained and check the compression and ask when the last water pump was done. The powerhead is not the same as the Ficht, if it was then it would be a Ficht. The Ficht heads are set to accomodate injectors,among other things, and I believe the compression ratio is a little less with the Ficht. The carbed motor is the standard powerhead that they have been using for years. Good luck.