powerhead rebuild and repainting QD 20 10hp

motordummy

Cadet
thanks to all so far-hoping I'm not getting to be a PITA. My neighbor is a machinist and we checked cylinder measurements, upper and lower, top and bottom of each, 12:00 to 6:00 and 3:00 to 9:00-eight total measurements. manual states bore is 2.375". all measurements were within spec (2.3755") except the head end of the lower cylinder, measured crosswise 3:00-9:00 which was 2.3775. two one thousandsths off. do not see rebore as needed as spec is .003-.0035-it seems to be in pretty good shape. He doesnt have a ball hone so will have honed at local outboard repair shop with machining. Said will do for $20.<br /> <br />Now, there is quite a bit of crud in the water jackets and do not know what is in the oil passages, heavy carbon on the exhaust, etc. In short, i would like to do this right and would like this whole powerhead cleaned up before going forward. How do i clean it good? Is it proper to soak this whole "assembly" in anything much like carb parts? or what is proper cleaning of the innerds-wouldnt assume that you just drop a block into a bucket of b-12 and soak it-or do you? but never done this-would guess that solvents may mean trouble? would like to get it all clean, then have honed, then wash in water and detergent to clean off any potential left over burring, then oil up all inner parts, and paint. any tips here?<br /><br />Regards painting, any tips? Bolt all back together, cover and tape up openings, crankshaft, etc and spray away?? certainly never done this. thanks for any tips. <br /><br />also, i would like to replace the lower piston if i can find a NOS cheap or a good condition one-old one on lower cylinder appears to have scored on a sharp port, maybe? The one Joe had in prior post will not work in my motor as it is for updated ones for after 1961 with wrist pin needle bearings my wrist pin has friction old bearings. new oil seals #302036 and new rings #301787.

motordummy

Cadet
Re: powerhead rebuild and repainting QD 20 10hp

sorry, i should not have posted a new topic. will try to close this one.