Optic sensor issue On a 150 Ocean Runner

Pst76

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1992 Johnson OceanRunner 150hp. Motor runs great, but had 2 issues where motor stalled after running for a while at about 3/4 throttle. First time took forever to trouble shoot and found that the optic sensor in the top casing seemed to be the culprit. Installed a new one and fired up first try. Reinstalled one in question to try and verify that it was the problem and symtom came back. <br />Put the new sensor one back in and ran great until last trip out this past season and same symtoms again. This time went through same procedure only replaced optic sensor first shot. Motor fired up first try. And seems to be fine.<br />I Will not get to run the motor again til spring but I am curious if I may have a bigger problem that is causing issues with the sensor. Would rather break it down now during the winter months and have ready for spring than have an issue during the short season we get. Any thoughts would be great.<br />Thanks

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: Optic sensor issue On a 150 Ocean Runner

Late model sensors have improved internals to make them more reliable. The '92 motors had a bulletin back then about shimming the timing wheel that could wobble and cause different problems. A stator that is located underneath the hidden flywheel should be visually inspected and tested electrically. The power coil on it can wreak a pack or a sensor. Somewhere around '92 or '93, the power coil voltage was changed to help the system.

Pst76

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Seahorse for the info. Any ideas on how to get a copy of that Bulletin? I've been through my manual but it does not make any reference to that issue. I would sure feel better looking at doing a Mod than the gamble of being out on the water and wondering if sensor will act up again. I do plan to keep a spare on board just in case.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

You have to see an authorized dealer for the bulletin.

Pst76

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, I'll look into that. I have a guy local that I can check with.