88 Johnson 150 grinding gears

silverwing_6

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a used sportscraft bassboat with a 1988 Johnson 150 GT. I used it for 3 months strate with no problem untile now. The moter craks and runs grate but will only go into reverse. Whenever I try to put it into gear the moter grinds, jerks, and refuses to go into gear. I apreciat any help.<br /> <br /> Thanks,<br /> SW6

red10

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 88 Johnson 150 grinding gears

silverwing, i had a similar problem with my 88 150 and it was the shift cable get hung up or seized because there was a bend in the cable

silverwing_6

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks red10 but that was the first thing I checkd. The moter also jumps when I try to put it into gear.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Disconnect the shift cable at the engine and see if it'll shift into forward at the shift linkage.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Does "no luck" mean it won't go in gear or does it means it goes in but grinds? <br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

silverwing_6

Seaman Apprentice

I diconected the shifter cable, cranked up the moter, and manualy shifted forward. It would only grind violently and jerk.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Sounds like the clutch dogs have all gone south. I'm sure they will be other opinions but if it were mine, I'd be dropping the l/u for a rebuild.<br /><br />g'luck & c/6<br />Hooty

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Hooty. Drain and Check the fluid in the lower unit and see if it's got particles or chunks of metal in it. Also, make sure it's full of fluid. If so, it's got a problem that can only be solved by tearing it down.

silverwing_6

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys, I'll try it right now. I just need to know how to change the lower unit fluid, and what fluid to use.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

remove the drain/fill and vent screws. Do NOT remove the screw with the phillips head. The ones you want a are flat head screws as shown in the picture. Use the appropriate(Big) size screwdriver.<br /><br />
shaftexmp2.jpg

silverwing_6

Seaman Apprentice

How do you fill it back up, what do you use, scense you fill it up from the bottom screw?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

You go to your local Walmart and purchase lower unit high viscosity lube.(Usually Lubrimatic brand) Two tubes should be plenty. Sometimes they come in quart sizes, too. It has a nozzle on the end of the tube. Leave the top(Vent) screw out and squeeze the lube in from the bottom until it comes out the top hole. Replace the top screw while still holding the tube in the bottom hole. When tight, remove the tube and replace the bottom screw quickly. It is a good idea to replace the screw seals(Washers) or "O" rings when you do this. Dealer will have them for a few cents or possibly the hardware store may have a match.

silverwing_6

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks alot, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. Later