Should We Invest In This Extra Part For Our 1954 Johnson Seahorse?

cigarxtc

Seaman Apprentice
The lower unit on my 1954 Johnson Seahorse 25hp RDE has a 1 inch crack on the leading edge of the stabilizer fin. Eventually it will get worse unless I get it welded up. The lower unit casing is not cracked, just that fin. I have access to another used lower unit for $68 bucks. Is that a good price? Would it be worth it to have that one or at least another spare lower unit on hand, just in case?

alcan

Commander
Re: Should We Invest In This Extra Part For Our 1954 Johnson Seahorse?

Weather or not to buy the spare is a question only you can answer. The price you quote seems fair if a fellow needs this part. How ever quite often you can get whole motors of this vintage free (most allways when you don't need them). I would probably just weld up the one you have and call it good. Of corse there is no telling what I might do.

cvx35

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, I beieve another gearcase for 68 bux is worth it for a spare. Gears are expensive. C heck the unit you are buying for water in gear oil. I hope your motor runs okay. :)

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi CigarXTC,<br /> Is this a show motor or a go motor? If it's only a go motor, then I wouldn't worry about the crack in the ventilation plate. particularly the leading edge. It won't affect the perforamnce of the motor, it won't let anything leak out, and unless the motor is tilted out of the water, you won't see it. If you're worried about it getting worse, you might be able to goober a little Marine Tex epoxy in there to prevent it from vibrating around or breaking off entirely. <br /> Also, as Alcan pointed out, once your neighbors, co-workers, relatives, etc. realize you have a vintage outboard and actually use it, you'll start acquiring more - usually with little or no cash outlay. Many marinas have graveyard where motors that are too expensive to repair (at $50-$80/hour) but are often salvageable by someone who's not charging by the hour.<br /> If you do want to keep your eyes open for another unit, keep in mind that lower ends from 1952 to 1954 Evinrude and Johnson will bolt up to your motor.<br />- Scott

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

I agree with Chinewalker on all points. I've had good success using West System epoxy and aluminum filler (also W.S.) for repairs to the ventilation plate. I have the stuff on hand -- a little expensive to buy unless you have other uses. The Marine Tex would also do the trick.

alcan

Commander

Yes, ditto Chinewalker. Here is an idea I use sometimes also. Often I will notch, or trim this area. Sometimes I will cut the other side to match.