Old 30 horse Johnson questions

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
I was given this old Johnson 30 horse motor a few months ago. I was thinking of getting it running, painting it, and selling it. What I would like to know is if it would be easier to just sell it as is, or invest a few bucks in water pump, paint, make sure it runs, and sell it that way. I have no use for it, but I hate to see an outboard go to waste. Anyone have an idea what the average asking price for one of these are? Does anyone have any pics of what it should look like?Thanks...<br /><br />
johnson30.jpg

cvx35

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Old 30 horse Johnson questions

I see this is EBAY now... ;) $5 aluminum maybe, but too heavy and bulky for an anchor :D

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

Jason -- You might post it on the AOMCI classified site. It looks like a '56 in rough cosmetic shape. Unless you are into restoration as a hobby, it's probably better all around to let it go for what you have into it -- or trade it for something you need.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

The gear and shifter cogs like to round off and slip. You can't get new ones anymore, and used ones will have the same problem. A lot of people spend time and money getting them running, then they get them on a boat and then Klunk and Lurch from the worn out gearcase. Before you do anything, check those.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

First thing I would do is check the compression, so that you know what you're working with before you put any money in it. You probably already know that, but..

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

She's definitely a 1956 Johnson 30. Looks like it's received an Evinrud lower unit transplant at some point. Give it a physical before going much further or investing any money into it. Check the lower unit oil, check the compression, check the condition of the coils. <br /><br />As far as restoring it and then reselling it, VERY few people have done this and actually made any money at it. If you do the work youself, you're looking at about $50 in parts for the ignition rebuild, another $30 for carb rebuild kit and hoses, another $30 for a lower unit seal kit and impeller, another $50 - $70 or so if you can find a new clutch dog, , and I still don't even see a gas tank or controls with the motor. If it's electric start, it'll need the harness and transom-mounted solenoid box. And you stil haven't addressed the cosmetics.... and when you're done you still have to find someone who wants to buy a nearly 50-year old motor that realistically is worth much less than what you'll have into it in time and money (unless you're working less than min. wage).<br /> As you can see, "restoring" a motor for resale really isn't practical. Those that do it, don't do it for the money, rather they're often just trying to break even at their hobby. Gives them something to do over the winter and have fun at the same time...<br />- Scott

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Yeah, I knew it was a theoretical losing proposition. It has good compression. My thoughts are to stick in on my outboard stand and just see if it runs. If it runs, then go further. It used to be my bosses, it sat out at his dads in a shed for years, then he took it to his house and tried for two years to sell it at a garage sale with no results as he could not show that it ran. Plenty of interested people though. I figure if I get it running, its worth something, or I could tear it down and Ebay it. I don't know. My other thought is full resto, and look for an old 50s boat with fins and all that and do a resto on it, and just keep it. There is never money to be made in this, I just hate seeing this old iron go to waste... :D

cvx35

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Very impressive resto.. on the trihull Shanky. You must have a (boatload) of patience and love what you do. Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing your possible future projects. :)

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Now you're talking - do it for the fun of it. Those 30s are a stump-puller of a motor and do run well with a little TLC. You might want to take a look over at www.fiberglassics.com for some inspiration on what to mount it on...<br />- Scott

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I have been down the Fiberglassics road, when I had my 63 Pacific Mariner, it is a cool site. Now that I don't have a "glassic", I have no need for the site, they don't tolerate anything newer than 69.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Many years ago I came into an old Gale that looked in the same condition as yours. Just for the hell of it I enrolled in an evening outboard repair course at a votech school. They had a huge pile of old motors that was great for scavaging parts. I took it down to the last screw. Everything was cleaned, painted and carefully put back together.<br /><br />It started on the third pull when I got done to make a feller feel real proud. I sold it for a couple hundred more than I had in it and had a lot of fun in the process. Sure beat watching TV.