6 HP Evinrude Smoking

Pikey2574

Seaman
Hey guys<br /><br /> I have a 1968 6 hp Evinrude Fisherman and today I started it for the first time in about a month that before that it had sat for about a year. Upon starting it this time it was pretty hard to get started and once it started it smoked. I let it run for about a minute and a side note there was water continually coming out of the pee hole and every thing sounded normal. The smoke though was a grayish color and after letting it run for a couple 1-minute intervals I let it sit for about 20 minutes and when I started it it did not smoke as much yet it still smoked. If you have any info or ideas please let me know I am lost. Oh yeah I guess it would be important to know where the smoke is coming from.. It was coming from down below I am guessing just out of the exhaust cause it was just coming up out of the water.<br /><br />Thanks for the help and sorry for the paragraph<br /><br />Kevin

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: 6 HP Evinrude Smoking

need fresh gas and TWC3 oil in the right mix (somewhere between 40:1 and 50:1 would be good, unless you know the right mix from past use -- nothing leaner than 50:1). Make sure the exhaust ports are clear, as in no mouse nest in the leg blocking exhaust and water.

Paul Moir

Admiral

If that fails you, and it smells strongly of gasoline, make sure the choke is working correctly. Then find out if it's firing on both cylinders. To figure it out, disconnect a plug wire and ground it, then try to start the engine. If it starts up 'normally' on one but not the other, you know a cylinder isn't working. Alternatively, you could pull the plug wire while it's running - just make sure you use something plastic and long to pull the wire!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Let me guess...you left the fuel line connected, didn't you? Simple! Pressure built-up in the gas tank and forced gas into and through the carb causing a flooding condition. Your float valve might not be sealing 100%. I wouldn't worry about it. Just remember to disconnect the fuel line at the tank after you use it if it's going to be a problem. You should do that anyhow. Or if you have a tank with a manual vent screw in the fill cap, don't close it.<br /><br />I mean it's not like a four-stroke where excessive smoking could indicate an internal problem. Two-strokes will only smoke from the fuel that's put through them. The worst problem you could have would be a carb problem causing too much fuel to flow through. Or maybe a leaky fuel pump diaphragm. But I'm betting on the simplest one.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Pikey,<br /> Were you running the motor in a barrel or bucket? Often, running the motor in a somewhat confined area will magnify the amount of smoke. Normally, on a boat, the smoke is dispersed by a breeze, etc. Some smoke is entirely normal. If the gas it the same gas you had when you put the motor away, replace it with fresh mixed fuel. Better quality oils tend to smoke less. Truly excessive smoke is an indication of a rich condition on the motor - sticky float, incorrect needle valve setting, etc. Hope that helps...<br />- Scott

Pikey2574

Seaman

Yeah the tank was not connected to the motor while it sat but I am guess that it could use some fresh gasoline and also the fact it was ran in a barrel. The gasoline is well over a month old and could very well have been the problem. I will try and run some fresh gas through the motor tomorrow and see what happens. <br /><br />Thanks for all the replies and help<br /><br />Kevin

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello.<br />When you put it away a year ago,Did you fog the engine?If so you may well be burning that fogging oil out of the system.

Pikey2574

Seaman

I did not fog it last time I ran it, but the last time I ran it was the weekend before thanksgiving. Not sure but I am thinking it might just be a mixture of some old oil and running it in a bucket. Any one have any other ideas.. oh yeah when the motor did run it did ont heat of or anything you could touch it no problems.<br /><br />Thanks again for all the replies and help<br /><br />Kevin

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Fresh gas and oil with some carb cleaner in mixture will put it back to being smoke free.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

If you are really running it in a bucket, it might be a good idea to get a bigger bucket. A plastic garbage can works for the small motors. If you want to get fancy, you can install a capped through-hull at the bottom to drain the water. You can overheat a motor in a test barrel. Don't run at high rpms, and check periodically to make sure the water in the tank is still cool.