1988 88hp Evinrude P T/T

irdir

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1988 Evinrude 88hp with manual tilt. I found a power trim/tilt on eBay and I'd like to know if I have to change my brackets or anything to accommodate the unit. The seller says it is the correct model power trim/tilt for my year and size motor. Thanks.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 88hp Evinrude P T/T

Hey irdir....<br /><br />What would make the job easy is to pull the engine from the boat and let it hang from a hoist. You won't have to change transom brackets but most of the stuff. like the shock absorber and manual tilt stuff will have to go to make room for the TNT. Having the engine hanging will also let you spread the transom brackets a little to get the TNT unit in there.<br /><br />Keep us Posted....thanks.

irdir

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks a lot. I got some time before I recieve the unit, but I'll post a new message as soon as I get the engine off and I get the unit. Thanks again.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

irdir...while yer waiting for the unit, why not go and get a service manual also. It'll help. OEM manuals are preferred and you can order one from your local Johnny/Rude dealer. Take your model number with you if you order.<br /><br />Good luck.

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

irdir, I would suggest that you just renew this topic when you get your tilt unit. Other people may find it very helpful if they can read the whole story.

lightning2

Cadet

irdir,<br />I am planning the same upgrade. I have the tilt unit but never put it on yet. Tried once but I am quite sure you need to pull the motor off the boat to get the pump in place. The manual cyclinder/damper comes out pretty easy on the boat, but there was no way I could get the power unit in place.<br /><br />I'd be very interested in how you make out.<br /><br />The only item that I still need are a couple steel pads that bolt intothe bracket where the trim rods hit. Do you have these to install on your motor?

irdir

Seaman Apprentice

I haven't had time to put in together yet either, but i eneded up buying a new swivel bracket with the steel pads your talking about. It was a lucky find on eBay. So, good luck in finding another one. Hope this helps in some way.