WOT forum vs. manual

angus63

Captain
Guys<br />I've learned alot from here and do not in any way doubt your wisdom, but why do you recommend 5500-6000 rpm for a 1995 175 hp evinrude (previous post during a search) when the manual gives a range of 4500-5500? I notice not just this motor but several others that you recommend proppin' up near 6000 when the factory book calls for 5500 max? Just curious about the difference.....

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: WOT forum vs. manual

Just as many boaters over power their boats vs. the USCG rating, many also over-rev their outboards vs. the mfg. rating.<br /><br />There is risk in either.<br /><br />It is a safe practice to follow what the engineers recommend. It is a bad idea to recommend to anyone that they exceed manufacturer's recommendations.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Any fuel burning engine runs it's best, and live's the longest at high speed, and light loads, or running in it's power band. Running at low speed , heavy loads, or lugging as they say, will cause increased friction, causing high heat, causing lubrication break-down, detination, and ultimate failure. Many times a new owner takes out his new boat from the dealer, and say it runs at 5500. Then he goes home, adds trolling "battery, batteries" fishing gear, anchors, fishing buddies, going on, and on. That engine is'nt running 5500 anymore. Prop your engine, and err on the high side of the scale.

angus63

Captain

Thanks for the replies. I run 5300 with an average load and was curious if there was any harm in doing so with a 95 175 oceanpro?

Hooty

Rear Admiral

There's been a little bit of a discussion about this before and I'm only gonna quote a engine owners manual I happen to be looking at.<br /><br />It sez:<br />"Full Throttle Operating Range--------150 & 175 H.P. 4500 to 5500 RPM<br />200 & 235 H.P. 4750 to 5750 RPM"<br /><br />The word "Maximum" is not mentioned. ;) <br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty