1981 115 hp trim tilt issue

y not

Seaman Apprentice
Tilts up ok but motor drives and no come down :( <br />Manual release allows to come down to twin trim rams but thats all. I have been qouted from $1500.00 to start locally to fix so might have a go myself if any suggestions are available. I have drained and replaced all oil. Tried to blow out with compressor the best I can & replaced oil again. Still no joy.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1981 115 hp trim tilt issue

Originally posted by y not:<br />Tilts up ok but motor drives and no come down :( <br />Manual release allows to come down to twin trim rams but thats all. I have been qouted from $1500.00 to start locally to fix so might have a go myself if any suggestions are available. I have drained and replaced all oil. Tried to blow out with compressor the best I can & replaced oil again. Still no joy.
y not, is the tilt motor running on the down side or just on the up side?<br />Could have a bad relay not letting the tilt unit work.

y not

Seaman Apprentice

tilt motor runs both up and down sides suspect blocked valve of some sort stopping oil return flow

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

With the engine in the full up position and locked so that it cannot drop, standing in back of the boat facing the PTT, look at the lower left rear portion of the PTT unit.<br /><br />You'll see a large slot there which is in reality a check valve. In back of that check valve is a shuttle valve that changes position when operated in the up or down mode.<br /><br />In back of that shuttle valve is another check valve which is identical to the one you removed to get at the shuttle valve.<br /><br />I would suspect a stuck shuttle, faulty "O" Ring, or one of those two check valves. There are other components that could cause problems of course, but that would be my starting point.

y not

Seaman Apprentice

Joe, thanks for the advise will check it out in the next cpl of days then post again to update